Monday, 10 April 2017

My Diet Adventure Part 1


Adjusting to a Healthy Diet

As some of you may recall, I had seen a gastroenteroligst for some time concerning my digestive troubles. I have yet to receive an official diagnosis, we'll be discussing some results next week, but I was given the go ahead to return to my gluten free diet. I'm ecstatic! I think this is the best choice for my overall health, especially with this new diagnosis of active EBV. Today I want to share a handful of products that I use to get by on the gluten free diet.

Now these products are probably not all 100% FODMAP diet friendly. I recently switched to the FODMAP diet at the request of my Gastroenterologist. According to Wikipeida, FODMAPS are short chain carbohydrates contained in food that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine. The FODMAP diet is a diet that consists of foods that are low in fructans, fructose, lactose and polyols (whatever that means). I don't trouble myself with the scientific details. The FODMAP diet is largely a gluten and dairy free diet. You can see the difference in the high offenders food table and the low offenders food table. The idea is that on the FODMAP diet you will limit your intake of high offending FODMAP foods opting for low FODMAP foods instead. People with IBS use the FODMAP diet to control their condition.

Yes, the FODMAP diet is by far one of the most overwhelming and confusing diets out there. The fact that you can apparently eat cheese but shouldn't drink milk? Confusing! I'm sure it all has to do with how things are processed and what they contain but it's not easy to understand if you're not already a dietitian. I've made the personal decision to go off of dairy and gluten altogether, with the tiny exception of butter. I've never had issues with butter but milk and cheese tend to make me feel rather bloated. I also stay away from most meats and would describe my diet as being more like a pescatarian. 

I should note that with these dietary changes I am taking supplements, like calicum, to make up for the lack of nutritional quantities in my food. I have to find new ways of getting protein since I rarely eat meat as a primary meal component. It's a struggle but I'm learning to adapt.

Food Substitutes & Alternatives

One of the things that I've learned on a gluten free and dairy free diet is that you will almost never find substitutes for your favorites (unless you're really lucky). I found a tofu based dairy free substitute cheese which tasted okay when melted but nothing like the real deal. It was more like mayonnaise! Likewise, I've tried the vegetarian mock foods, like burgers or chicken nuggets, and they all taste like the smell of cat food! They're also technically not allowed on the FODMAP diet because they contain certain offenders (like onion). 

After much searching and experimentation I have found a few gluten/dairy free substitutes that are now cherished favorites and some have become dietary staples for me. Let's take a look! 


When I need cookies I buy the ones from Ottawa's Strawberry Blonde Bakery. They are available at some Farmboy locations. The chocolate chip mint cookies are just like GIRL GUIDE COOKIES!!! They are, legit, better when frozen! They also make some pretty bitchin' ginger spice cookies and I'm pretty sure I had their carrot cake once too. These are delicious. They probably contain some kind of FODMAP offender, surely the chocolate contains milk(?), but overall I don't find they irritate my stummy so they meet my approval. If you've gone gluten free, give this brand a try!

When I need ice cream I buy So Delicious Cashew Salted Caramel Cluster - OMFG!! Certified vegan, dairy free and gluten free, how does it taste so fucking good?! I've experimented with plenty of frozen dairy free/gluten free ice creams and this one blows everything out of the water. I've tired their cookie dough which was also pretty good, it uses a coconut base. I prefer the cashew base because the texture is more like real ice cream, something that's practically unheard of when it comes to ice cream substitutes. I definitely recommend this product!



When I need pasta I buy Barilla gluten free pasta. It has a distinct corn flavor and the texture holds up really well. I like that when you use it in soups the corn flavor comes out, which truly enhances my made-from-scratch chunky vegetable soup. Pasta was one of my go to dishes for months when I switched to gluten free, it's easy to make and my ultimate comfort food. As a little girl I swooned for spaghetti and meatballs! The only downside is that it's expensive but if you're only feeding yourself or sharing with a spouse it's not so bad (hubby loves this stuff). I recommend the penne over other kinds of pasta because it bulks up considerably once cooked, so you get more bang for your buck. It's also important to mention that gluten free pasta can make you constipated, so if that's an issue for you make sure you're taking a fiber supplement to counteract it. 


When I need bread I buy All But Gluten products! I adore their bread and they make hands down the best lemon poppy seed loaf ever. I even used it for my birthday cake! I love it. They've got a good handle on texture. I recommend their raisin bread, it's quite lovely toasted with butter (If you can still have it) or spiced peach jam. I haven't had access to their other products but I hope they emerge in time; you can find them at Metro and I think the Superstore carries it as well. Another decent alternative when I can't get All But Gluten is Udi's Gluten Free products. I like their baguettes and my husband enjoys their wraps. You have to toast them just right otherwise they're a bit gummy and tough to chew on, but they're not as revolting as some bread substitutes.



When I need milk I buy Silk products. I used to purchase Earth's Own but I have since learned that Silk is the superior brand as far as taste and texture is concerned. I buy their almond milk and coconut milk. I'm sure some of you might be put off by either of these milks but they're really quite nice once you get accustomed to the texture - yes, milk has texture! Almond will seem considerably runnier than normal milk and coconut will come across as thicker. I use coconut in my smoothies and baking recipes because it has a higher fat content. I use almond milk for my cereal or just for drinking, the vanilla almond milk is almost like a dessert drink which is great for treating yourself. They make specially formulated coffee substitutes as well, I don't recommend using their straight Almond or Coconut milk in coffee or tea because it separates and tastes sour, buy the coffee version instead!


When I want chips I buy Que Pasa Tortilla Chips. These are organic corn chips that are certified gluten free! You'd be surprised at the number of brands that will add wheat to their products as a binder or flavor enhancer. I was happy to find this brand. They're tougher than other non GF brands, like Tostitos, but they're great with salsa and they hold up better as nachos (which my hubby loves).




When I want cereal I buy Kellogg's Gluten Free Brown Rice Krispies or Crispix. Crispix is not in fact certified gluten free, it has no mention on the box that it is but the nutritional information is void of any gluten ingredients - what gives? Unlike the Brown Rice Krispies, I'm under the impression that Crispix is made in a facility that uses gluten and therefore cannot commit to being entirely gluten free. So, if you're dangerously reactive to gluten I don't recommend it, but if like me it's more of a preference go for it. It is the better tasting cereal between the two. I have tried other gluten free brands and find they're too sugary and they go stale crazy fast, it's like eating saw dust, so I haven't found a non-Kellogg's alternative.


Conclusion

These are the best alternatives I've been able to come up with for many of my old favorites. It's nice to be able to buy something you thought you'd never be able to eat again. There are plenty of gluten/dairy free vegan brands that are always trying to come up with something new! Maybe one day we'll see a great alternative for cheese, who knows? For the items I haven't been able to substitute I replace. I don't like any of the box gluten free soups I've come across so I was forced to come up with my own from scratch. This is becoming the norm for me, my culinary skills are being put to the test. In the final installment of this diet adventure I'll share some recipes that I've come to rely on. 

Do you have any vegan, gluten free, dairy free products that you would recommend?

Best,

4 comments:

  1. I love almond milk! Good luck with everything and good for you for taking care of yourself. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love almond milk too, especially the vanilla one even if it's not super healthy to have that much sugar lol.

      Delete
  2. I really hope this all works out for you! Thanks for explaining the type of diet you are on! And, I am so grateful for your recommendations on certain products to eat! I will be trying some! Especially the ice cream! Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you might find a product you enjoy. I had such a hard time adjusting to my new diet it was like winning the lottery when I actually discovered products I enjoy. :)

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​