Thursday, 26 January 2017

Cosplay by McCall's Ribbon Candy & Victor


More Patterns! Ribbon Candy and Victor

Two more cosplay patterns for your spring "to-sew" list! Victor, a men's floor length, lined, period coat, and Ribbon Candy, a ladies' bodice, tutu, detached puff sleeves and sash! Let's take a look at them. :)

Ribbon Candy
Top, Skirt, Sash and Detached Sleeves
M2086

This is apparently cosplayer Becka Noel's trademark tutu design, with puff sleeve arm bands and bodice. I've always been curious to see how these tutus are made, they're pretty crazy looking and remind me of Elizabethan collars (and I want to wear a high Elizabethan collar like you wouldn't believe lol). It's cute, not my scene, but followers of hers I'm sure will be excited to give this a try. My only beef is that the waist sash looks busted. It just doesn't sit well with me at all and it's a design flaw for sure. If you look at other dress sashes you'll notice they're typically gathered or pleated, this helps conceal figure flaws and allows it to conform to the body better. A plain sash would work well if it were a smaller width, but at this width it's terribly unflattering. If you're going to do it, slash the piece horizontally, spread it (width x 1.5 or 2) and gather it instead. I noticed that they used shantung, which works well for creating the leafy structure of the cross body sash, but it fails miserably in the waist sash, gathering the material might have softened the look of it.


Victor
Coat
M2087

Now as much as I proclaim to be interested in historical fashion, I draw a blank when it comes to historical men's fashion! I'm assuming this is a medieval coat. It looks well constructed. I like the frog closures down the front and the t-shape across the back is visually pleasing. It has nice construction lines. It's also fully lined and I imagine it's an intense project (rated intermediate) but it'd be a labor of love, I'm sure! 

Conclusion

These are pretty neat looking designs, and it's nice to see a new cosplay designer added to the mix! I would be hard-pressed to name any cosplayers and their work, I don't follow this stuff personally, but it's always cool to see what people are up to. What do you think?

Best,

8 comments:

  1. You got me laughing when you said, they're pretty crazy looking and remind me of Elizabethan collars! LOL! Very true!!! I don't think I'm a fan of either one of these designs. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me a good Elizabethan collar! But the only tutus I wear are the 80's rara skirts lol.

      Delete
  2. Can't think of a single character who wears a tutu like that, but I love they used a plus size model. That men's coat is killer. I'd love it for me. After my last blog post all I want is a long trench with a wide skirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at her cosplay portfolio she has a version of the skirt doubled up which looks kind of cool, but I think it's some weird fad she started that has something to do with My Little Pony(?) or just unicorns, I guess. After your last post I want another trench coat! I might have to take my old one out of the closet and draft a pattern from it.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with 166 X 30, it's great that they have a person of normal body weight posing in the tutu!

    I was very impressed by your review and your pro way of looking at the designs and their flaws. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been sewing a lot and learning about drafting/fitting techniques, I think it's made me hyper aware of fit issues lol. I love that they used a plus size girl, it's the designer Becka Noel. I don't know if she does plus size modeling, but she has a great figure!

      Delete
  4. I have to agree that it is nice to see different body shapes in those cosplay sew-to pictures as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love plus size girls! I hope I get reincarnated as one. :)

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​