Tuesday, 27 December 2016

Brand of Choice 2016: RESTYLE

My Brand of Choice for 2016

Restyle is one of those brands that I've had an interest in for some time. Most people remember them for their highly popularized cameo purses. They've dabbled in a little Lolita, a little Trad Goth, but it seems that they've found their niche in the Nu Goth scene. I have been increasingly impressed with their emerging designs. They continuously refine their aesthetic with each new collection. Their jewelry is to die for. Take a look at their latest releases and you'll be left asking, "Alchemy who?" They are easily the best name as far as Gothic jewelry goes. Killstar can't hold a candle to them. Restyle's most recent clothing designs are leaning heavily into the bondage trend which I quite fancy. While body harnesses have been done to death, I'm taken with Restyle's ability to implement bondage in subtle and sophisticated ways. It's evident that they have a keen understanding of the female form. This is what earns them my title of brand of choice for 2016. They mix materials in ways that I cannot comprehend. If someone could teach me how to knock off their leggings, please do so, because I am freaking stumped! How do they do it without affecting the stretch of the fabric?! HOW? It's almost worth forking over the $50 USD to find out...


Restyle's most recent releases are largely influenced by geometry and occult symbolism. I'm a little over the occult thing, there are a few pieces I'm drawn to but I would hesitate to sport the pentagram when I'm not walking the pagan path. What I'm most attracted to is their latest hoodies and jackets with their unique use of construction lines to compliment the figure. They have a sort of Industrial Goth feel to them but are more simplified and feminine than the 90's trends we came to associate with that scene.

Restyle is one of those brands that is rethinking Gothic style (perhaps that's how the brand chose its name?). They are pushing the limits of design through experimentation. This is very encouraging. A brand that takes risks is exactly what we need for the future of Gothic fashion.

Unfortunately, because it's a European brand, there's little hope for Canadians to afford these pieces unless our dollar improves. Not to forget, according to their size chart I'm a large (?); this is especially confusing when American sites sell Restyle products without adjusting their size chart or making note of the differences. If you're wondering, I'm not a large, in Canadian sizes I'm a size 4/5 or small. Are girls in the EU especially petite? My hope is that in time these garments and accessories will be more accessible to North American buyers.

I'm really interested to see what new products they release in 2017 and if the brand will continue to steadily improve over time.

What do you think of Restyle?

Best,

11 comments:

  1. I haven't given them a close look, but will definitely check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disregarded them initially as being another "Sourpuss" and their clothing did look a little shoddy in the beginning, but it's come very far. I've read good reviews about their stuff. I'm jealous I can't get any of it though. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someday the Canadian dollar will improve...but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath lol.

      Delete
  2. Now that you pointed it out, I too am amazed how smoothly they've combined a little bondage style to clothes one could even wear at work! <3

    And no, European girls or women are not especially small. I do not know why, but for some reason many European Goth brands seem to think their average customer has the (skinny) body of a 14-year-old. :D And the sizes are in relation to that. It is quite frustrating and no wonder that many Goths seem to have some tendency towards eating disorders... >_>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely see potential for many Corp Goth outfits! :) It's weird that they believe the average customer is that tiny. At first I thought they were another Chinese brand with everything being so petite. It doesn't make me feel stellar to have to size up two sizes, but more importantly, it adds a level of confusion that puts me off if buying the product. If an e-store leaves out the Restyle sizing information you're more likely to purchase your regular size and end up with the wrong size completely! Nothing pisses customers off worse than feeling too big to fit into something.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree! I seldom buy clothes online because of that.

      Delete
  3. I have a few items by restyle. My suggestion, buy them at your local goth shop. They are from the UK, the prices are high and you will pay through the nose in shipping! I have a bag and a two tops from them. They are a really good brand with good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll probably have to stop by in Toronto to see if they carry any Restyle products. I've heard their stuff is good quality. :)

      Delete
    2. You can try calling Diabolik here in Montreal. I know they carry TONS of Restyl stuff. Maybe the store would ship to you? Maybe, it wont be so expensive that way?

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I've added them to my bookmarks. :) It's hard to find Canadian shops that sell online and in store. I have to drive to most of them which isn't convenient at all since most are three hours away.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I purchased my wedding dress from Restyle! So obviously I love that store/brand :) Time has gone by and I do not call it being my style so much anymore though. My occult-satanist-season went by at least when talking about appearance :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! :) It's funny how tastes change. I used to be more into punk when I was younger, then I went through this retro-gothabilly phase. Admittedly, I haven't dressed up much at all this year. I plan on sewing more Goth stuff for 2017, it'll be interesting to see what my style has become.

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​