Saturday, 23 July 2016

Cosplay By McCall's Valor, Spectral and Resistance

New Fantasy and Post Apocalyptic Costumes

Hello again! It's time for another wave of Cosplay by McCall's costumes. We're looking at two fantasy based costumes and one post apocalyptic/utilitarian style costume. My first impression is that they look ok, but let's deconstruct them.

Valor M2052

Men's Viking Costume

While I'm not blown away by this costume it's not as bad as its female counterpart, Intrepid. I would describe this as a generic viking costume, it's not an outstanding design. I suppose it offers up a good foundation for individuals who may desire a project that they can build off of. The vest and gauntlets are what help this costume, the lace up detailing around the back and shoulders kicks it up a notch. I only wish I could see something to that effect brought into the trousers. The fit looks alright, it's a tunic so there's not a whole lot of room for error. Similar to Intrepid, the pants seem a little off to me. I'm not sure what it is, they just have this tapered 80's look to them and they don't fit in the ass as well as they could (and that's a shame, everybody loves a good ass).



Spectral M2053

Women's Robe and Nightgown

***UPDATE*** I hadn't known the source for this previously, it is from the movie Crimson Peak. I gave it a watch, it's not a great movie by any means lol. I was disappointed to see that this robe is practically non-existent in the film. I planned to watch for the robe but I don't remember seeing it. I find it a little odd that McCall's chose to include the robe, it's not necessary and detracts from the costume. I think this pattern would've been fine with just the nightgown, which is very similar in design to the actual costume. I'm also disappointed that some of the other costume designs weren't used. This film is known for its exceptional visuals (especially given its lackluster script), there are many great dresses worn by the sister. As featured in the promotional poster she wears a crimson dress. I think that would've been interesting to include with the nightgown.

Okay, so I'm a little biased when it comes to this one. I hate this style of nightgown, I always have. But I recognize that fans of historical sewing and Edwardian fashion will enjoy this pattern. The lace along the cuffs and the pearl buttons are cute. The robe looks decent enough. I have a costume pattern from McCall's that features a similar sleeve style and I can see from the promo photo that they've improved the cut of it. I should note that the robe is lined and sewn in brocade so it ramps it up to an intermediate skill level. Otherwise I would think advance beginners could tackle the nightgown on its own, or maybe try the robe in more forgiving materials. I'm sure the costume is referencing some popular TV show but being the non-conformist that I am I can't identify it. I think it would make a good vampire costume though, it reminds me of Dracula's three brides.



Resistance M2054

Unisex Jumpsuit

No, not the game! Although I suddenly find myself wanting to play it. It's a jumpsuit! With all the belt loops and pockets you would expect it to have. This was a very good move on McCall's part. I think unisex patterns are good idea regardless, but here's a pattern that can be used for many purposes. You could use it for a military, SWAT, or NASA costume, a post apocalyptic costume, a Metal Gear Solid Snake costume, a Ghostbusters uniform (the original one, not that shitty fucking so called "feminist" one); the list goes on! I mean how many films, video games, anime or comics can you recall with characters wearing jumpsuits? TONS OF THEM. Hoorah! And the fit doesn't look that bad either. All you need is a pair of combat boots and you're good to go.


Conclusion

It seems as though Valor and Spectral should've been released with Intrepid (the viking women's costume). They have a similar style and design quality to them. Overall these are decent patterns. I like the jumpsuit but I hesitate to use it for the Ghostbusters costume because I do not want to be associated with that horrid film. I guess I might have to wait a year to see if this shit blows over. Who knows!

What do you think?

Best,


9 comments:

  1. So you want to dress up a ghostbuster? :)
    I think the nightgown and robe are quite nice and I really like the jumpsit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I would but I would absolutely loathe it if someone referenced the new film. XP I think the two patterns are very successful but I don't care much for the viking costume. I'd like to see more post apocalyptic designs.

      Delete
  2. I think the Lady Edith is such a difficult pattern to put together. However, I think it is truly lovely, and a spooktacular option if well done.
    Thanks for reviewing this! ❤︎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this post. :) I think the robe would be the hardest part. I'm afraid of the lining lol. And thanks for mentioning what it's from, I've never seen Crimson Peak, now I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  3. I like all three of these. I feel like the nightgown is supposed to be like the ones from Crimson Peak. I think it looks awesome. And there are so many things that use the jumpsuit. Looks awesome. Love that it's unisex too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you are right, it's from Crimson Peak. I haven't seen the film, only it's early promo material so I never made the connection. I think the jumpsuit is fab, I want one.

      Delete
  4. The one I truly like, is the woman's robe and night gown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would suit your style. :)

      Delete
  5. I have yet to read a review for the ghostbuster movie where they enjoyed it in the end, everyone seems to be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​