Sunday, 12 June 2016

Top 5 Pumpkin Pie Sodas


The Good, The Best and The Meh

If it's Christmas in July than Halloween must be in June! To be fair, I'm always in the mood for Halloween. It certainly doesn't hurt that my work has begun producing this year's batch of Halloween cookies (complete with bats, jack o' lanterns and ghosts). If you find that you're having difficulty getting into the Halloween spirit this early, you might be interested in giving pumpkin pie flavored soda pop a try! That's what today's post is all about, five carefully selected pumpkin pie flavored sodas.


5. Pumpkin Pie Soda by Jones Cane Sugar Soda

I'm going to start with my least favorite sodas. It's not to say that these sodas are terrible, they're decent but not my top choice. Jones Pumpkin Pie Soda is a rather synthetic interpretation of pumpkin pie. It was described to me by a co-worker as tasting like a pumpkin spice candle. Surely that sounds odd but you'll find it a rather befitting description if you happen to try the drink for yourself. It's super synthetic. While it's unmistakably pumpkin spice flavor, it's overwhelmed by something peppery. It's a very sweet drink too, in a syrupy kind of way. I don't mind a spicy drink but when I think of pumpkin pie spice I expect it to be accompanied by cream. I think a hint of cream soda might have toned this pop down and made it more enjoyable. I mean c'mon, who doesn't love a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top?


4. Pumpkin Pie Soda by Lester's Fixins

This soda places fourth in my list. Like Jones it has a synthetic flavor to it but it's not nearly as off putting. This pop has strong notes of ginger ale and cinnamon. Unlike many of the pumpkin pops featured in this list, this one doesn't contain cane sugar. I appreciate that cane sugar is better for you but I find at times it has a somewhat metallic taste. I really enjoyed that this pop didn't have cane sugar in it, however, it did border on being sickeningly sweet. This soda has a nice cinnamon candy hearts aftertaste to it with maybe the slightest hint of cream in there somewhere. The ginger gives the drink a kick and brings some heat with it. It wasn't as convincing for a pumpkin pie flavor. Overall it's an alright drink I just feel that it lacks the richness of other pumpkin sodas. I also didn't care for the label on any of the Lester's Fixins sodas, they make it look cheap.


3. Pumpkin Pie Soda by Maine Root

When I think of Maine I don't exactly think of gourmet soda pop...but I suppose now I will lol. This drink fell into the middle of my list. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. There were a few aspects that I enjoyed about it. The flavor is fairly mild and not as intense as the more synthetic sodas. It contains a mixture of nutmeg. ginger, maybe cinnamon (although I couldn't tell for sure), and cane sugar but that's not a deal breaker. There's a nutty aftertaste to it and the ginger overwhelms the other spices a little more than I'd like it to. I feel like thist soda tastes far more like gingerbread. Gingerbread and pumpkin pie flavoring tend to use the same spices so it can be difficult to distinguish between the two, but I felt that this pop was lacking something that's essentially pumpkin. I encourage trying it out but I didn't think it was worth all the hype that it gets.


2. Avery's Pumpkin Pie Soda

As the slogan suggests, Always Ask for Avery's! As my runner up, I would certainly heed that advice if my number one choice was unavailable. I was attracted to the label on this soda. It's a nice design. It's eye catching and you know exactly what the flavor is without having to get up close to the bottle. I really like this soda. It has the pumpkin spice flavor but a distinct dash of cream in there to give it the smoothness that other sodas have been lacking. This soda definitely uses apple flavoring to achieve the "pumpkin" flavor. I've noticed this in my loose leaf tea as well; it's advertised as pumpkin spice but there isn't any pumpkin in it, instead it's apple. I understand that getting the actual pumpkin flavor is probably very difficult and apple seems like a sufficient substitute, but I question whether it tastes more like an apple pie instead of a pumpkin pie. It sort of has an apple Jolly Rancher aftertaste to it. That being said, it's a very good soda and I recommend you give it a try if you ever come across a bottle.


1. Pumpkin Spice Tonic by Orca Beverage Inc.

Rich, dark, sultry temptress in a bottle. I found it accidentally last year when I was searching for Halloween decorations. It came in a four pack. The bottle describes drinking it on a dark night by the campfire...or something to that effect. It has a distinctly rich flavor to it. This is a dark cream soda base that's been flavored with spices. Yes it has cane sugar, I wish it weren't so, but the flavoring is handled very nicely. The pumpkin spice flavoring in this soda presents warm hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, which I wish were a little more prominent. The cream flavoring is what won this soda first place. It's what I have yearned for in almost every other soda! The only way this tonic could be improved is if the spices were slightly stronger (but not by adding ginger ale, that would ruin it, just more cinnamon). I'm bummed because I haven't seen the Pumpkin Spice Tonic in the Orca Beverage Inc. catalog. I'm not sure if it's because it's seasonal or not. I hope they don't discontinue it. If you're curious to try it it's for sale through the American Amazon website but you'll pay a pretty hefty price for it!

Conclusion

It was a lot of fun trying the various flavors of gourmet soda and seeing how each company has its own take on the pumpkin pie flavor. I'm a true fan of the tonic at this point and if I see it again in person I'll likely buy up hoards of it! I know I can still get Avery's from a specialty shop a few hours away (I'll be in the area again this summer, I should take advantage of that). I might try the Maine Root again but I probably won't buy either of the other pops. Perhaps this fall I'll find a new tasty treasure to add to the list. :)

Have you tried any of these delicious pie pops before? Do you know of another brand you'd recommend?

Best,

4 comments:

  1. I haven´t tried pumpkin pie soda before, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of any of these! I am going to look for them! Thanks so much for sharing! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh that would be worth the sugar rush and belly fat *_*

    ReplyDelete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​