Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Boho Chic and Victorian Romance


Inspiring Etsy Seamstresses

It's no mystery, I'm poor! My student loan is in repayment and I'm at risk of losing my job due to illness. And for some reason that doesn't stop me from perusing various indie fashion shops on Etsy. I know that I'll never be able to afford such treasures but I can't help but be inspired by the artists that I find. Today I wanted to share two designers who have very different aesthetic styles but are both insanely talented.



Somnia Romantica

Is a design label from dutch fashion designer Marjolein Turin. Her pieces are inspired by historical fashions and appeal to Goth, Lolita and Steampunk enthusiasts. I am head over heels for her dresses, in particular anything in that warm oatmeal, cream colour. You'll notice her signature style is a lot of lace, which I love. While her short dresses are more simplistic in design and more affordable, I prefer her "exclusive" pieces which can go anywhere from $500 to $1000 CAD. Not surprisingly, the majority of her sales are caplets and cardigans. While I may never be able to afford my favorites from her shop, I find myself inspired by her use of lace and trim embellishments, ruffles and layering. 



Majik Horse

Dawn, a designer and artist, describes her Etsy shop as selling "majikal fairy tale jewelry and illustration". I can't say I've seen either her illustrations or her jewelry but a look back through her sales reveals she started off selling primarily vintage fabrics and clothing. Eventually, she started dabbling in upcycling which lead to some of the most stellar boho fae dresses I've ever seen. In the pieces shown above you can see that Dawn has a clear understanding of texture and colour, she's not afraid to experiment and I find that truly inspiring. These old cotton dresses are given a new life through recycled doilies, lace, a little fabric dye and crocheted accents. I have a bunch of doilies sitting in my craft bin, I have never once thought of using them in my sewing but this designer has me seeing them in a new light. Sadly she has no items in her store at the moment but her pieces are not outlandishly expensive. I recommend bookmarking her. :)

Conculsion

Ideally I would like to pull inspiration from both of these artists into one of my projects. I like the idea of an upcycled boho Victorian style dress, I don't think such a thing has existed before lol. 

Do you have any favorites from these designers?

Best,

11 comments:

  1. I love what they do. I can't afford these pieces either but I often find lacey, victorian or 1900s inspired lingerie in yard sales and I layer them to make a similar alternative look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, lucky you, I've never seen 1900's inspired lingerie anywhere before lol. I love that lacy layered look. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow I love the first one. Authentic reproductions have been on my to-do list since forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you checked out Amazondrygoods.com? They have reproduction historical clothing and home decor patterns. I could easily blow all my money on that site lol.

      Delete
    2. I get most of mine (crochet patterns) from Google books for free. (the scans from 1800s books.) If you live nearby a good library, it might be worth it to check out the special collections. That website is very cool though. I'm guessing they're patterns from someone who reverse-engineered the clothing? Those paper collars are pretty cool too

      Delete
  3. btw did you see that Vogue is looking for paid contributors? you'd probably be awesome at that. They'd probably really like your drawings too. http://blog.mccall.com/2016/06/29/vogue-patterns-magazine-is-looking-for-contributors/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! :) I'm not sure if I'm what they're looking for. Even though I associate Vogue magazine with high fashions, the McCall's Vogue patterns have always struck me as being...matronly lol. I'm going to be doing a lot of sewing this year, maybe towards the end if I think of an article they'd find worthy I'll apply! That'd be pretty cool to get paid to write. XD

      Delete
  4. Oh, you know I love me some dark boho clothing! I am guilty of perusing Swedish Ebay, buying tons of cheap dresses - even though I'm on sick insurance...

    I read your other posts, and your email (to which I will respond very shortly!) and I'm so sorry your doctor is such a douche! I wish I could come over there and make some noise on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor is a douche! I'm already making plans to apply for a new doctor. I heard if you have a relative seeing them you might be able to get in as a patient, my uncle sees a doctor at the same clinic who I've met once and he was really good. Fingers crossed maybe I can get in with him! I wish I could find cheap dresses, the best I can do is Forever21 and it's just not my scene lol.

      Delete
  5. I love them both and would wear them all! These are my kind of clothes! Gorgeous!
    I hope things start to go better with your health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like these! :) I would wear them all if I could afford to lol.

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​