Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Newbreed Girl Review

A Newbreed Girl Product Review

Newbreed Girl is a womens' clothing brand that produces printed apparel. Their catalog is a mixture of Nu Goth, Pastel Goth and alternative designs, but their selection is rather limited. I think it's a brand that hasn't quite made its name yet. My fiancé was the one who first introduced me to the brand. He was looking around on ThinkGeek and he came across Newbreed Girl's Lucky Kitty T-shirt. It was love at first sight. He ordered it up for me and I wore it for a good two years. Sadly, my poor t-shirt has started to tear along the hemlines. My fiancé felt pretty bad about it because he knew it was my favorite t-shirt, so he offered to replace it. Unfortunately the shirt is no longer available but the site advertised a similar hoodie that I felt might be an adequate substitute.

A few days ago I received my package. It was over a week before it was dispatched and I find that a little disappointing. We received a phone call but because it was a long distance number we ignored it. It turns out that it was a rep calling to confirm that it was actually my fiancé's credit card. I suppose they've had issues with credit fraud(?) and this may have delayed my shipment. I tried emailing customer service to inquire about my tracking number. I never received an official response from them, my package was shipped and the tracking number included, some two or three days after I wrote them.


The packaging was good and the garments were nicely sealed into individual plastic bags. Yes, I said garments. I took advantage of the "grab bag" offer, for $4 with purchase you get any one item that may have been defective or a sample. I love a good surprise! The quality of the hoodie is hit and miss. The hoodie features ribbing that is literally three inches too long. The cuffs have to be rolled up otherwise my hands are covered. I'm not sure if this is an intentional design choice but it's hardly functional. The hood is pointy and the drawstrings are a little on the short side. The print is decent but I'm concerned it'll flake over time. It's not like the t-shirt print, it's much thicker and has that gummy texture to it. The material is thinner than most hoodies I own but not so extreme that I'd be afraid to wear it in the fall. It's just not a winter grade hoodie. It's not as nice as the t-shirt. I was hoping it would be the same cherry red but instead it's more like a bright coral color. My t-shirt has a vintage look to it, where the hoodie is stark white (see above).

The surprise was the Yin Yang Unicorn Mod Dress. It's described as a soft, loose, slightly a-line dress. The print is obviously referencing the popular Killstar Yin Yang cats. The material is decent, soft and breathable but slightly see through. I'm concerned it might fade after a few washes. The shape is not for me. It's too loose in the back and too clingy toward the bottom so it has a sack like quality. It's also a size medium and the hoodie I ordered was a size small. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any grab bag samples in my size. I thought perhaps this medium ran small but to my disappointment it didn't fit. Their size medium is very loose on me. Like, so loose that I run the risk of my boobs falling out! I plan on maybe taking the dress in in certain areas so that it does fit me. Perhaps tighter up top and keeping the flare at the hemline like a skater dress. I'll have to experiment with sewing a few more knit pieces before I'm brave enough to tear into this one.

Overall I think this brand has potential. My hope is that they work toward a higher quality garment in the future, maybe change manufacturers or something to that effect. They have good ideas it's just that I don't think those ideas are being successfully realized with the materials/resources they're using. Would I recommend them? I'm hesitant to do so. Out of three garments, I only absolutely love the one and even at that the hemline on the t-shirt has always twisted to one side (which is possibly indicative of an error in the cut of the fabric). If you can view and try their clothing on in person I encourage you to check them out.

Ever bought from Newbreed Girl before? Tell me what you think!

Best,

8 comments:

  1. Never heard of Newbreed Girl bfore, but they have some really cool prints. I love that Ying Yang unicorn - did you say it out loud yet? It sounds so cool, lol - print so much more, than Killstar's Ying Yang cats and that's saying a lot, because I loooove the Ying Yang cats...! ;) I see what you mean about the hoodie not being as nice as the t - shirt; I love that sepia - esque vintage coloring too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol It does sound cool, like it could be neat band name. The Yin Yang Unicorns! I prefer the colour of the tshirt, the vintage look seems more mature somehow, where the bright coral red makes me think of something children wear.

      Delete
  2. I do like my kitties, especially on T-shirts. I'm unsure whether I'll find something somber enough to suit my tastes. Very cute cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge cat lover. I'll probably accumulate hundreds of kitty tees in my lifetime lol.

      Delete
  3. I never heard of that company but since my arms are quite a bit longer I am happy for any company that adds a few extra inches XD Your new stuff looks really cute though, hoping they will turn out better than the first impression you got!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I guess this hoodie would be perfect for you! I have normal arms, I can't imagine how it would fit someone under 5' tall though, probably terribly. If they expand their collection to include more than just printed tees I'd be interested in trying their products again.

      Delete
  4. It sucks that they can't even answer a costumer's email, but the hoodie is just too cute! Most of the hoodies I own have that gummy print, but it all depends on the price, and I've never seen such a hoodie cheaper than 50 euros :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gummy thing is really common now. I bought a Rage Against the Machine hoodie for my fiance and it had that printed texture to it. It melted slightly in the dryer and it picks up lint like crazy now lol. Most hoodies cost in the neighborhood of $50 - $90 CAD, not for quality but brand names. I still think it's a little absurd but then again t-shirts are starting to cost around $35-$40 and they last us how long?? Like a year at best? Boo!!

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​