Monday, 29 February 2016

Happy Leap Day!


Or is it a second Halloween?

It comes around every four years and it's my uncle's birthday (which makes him younger than me! but not really). I've always been interested in Leap Day because I think it's weird, it's a day that shows up like magic. It only exists so we can adjust the Gregorian calendar to match the cycles of nature, but that's about it. We don't do anything special to mark the occasion and I think that's a bummer. We're overlooking some prime holiday time! Think about it, it's another excuse to eat poorly and have fun. Why isn't Leap Day a big deal?

I remember when I was little, I had watched an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? where story teller, Betty Ann, tells a scary story inspired by the folklore of Leap Day. Well, more specifically it was about a full moon on Leap Year, probably because the last full moon on Leap Day took place in the 70's and not the 90's when AYOTD was being filmed. Regardless, the characters were explaining that a full moon on Leap Day held some seriously bad juju. It's a time when the veil between the spirit world and the world of the living is at it's thinnest and spirits are free to roam the earth seeking the souls of the living as their victims. Are you thinking of Halloween or Day of the Dead? Because I was. This was only strengthened by the fact that the story teller greets the circle garbed in a black robe, donning a paper sugar skull mask. You can imagine my surprise! A day like Halloween in February? It's so cool and scary! How could I not know about this?!

It's only with age, wisdom and of course the internet that one becomes painfully aware of the truth. There is no folklore that I could find in regards to a full moon on Leap day. This is probably because it happens so rarely. The last one took place in 1972, the next one will occur in 2048. Any superstitions children would create regarding the day would be lost throughout the generations; it's just too big of a gap for anyone to give a shit. Perhaps that was the script writer's intention all along. Maybe they didn't want to choose a date that was possible for kids because it'd be "too scary". But nothing on AYOTD was that scary. As far as weird folkloric Leap Day superstitions go, all that I could find was that women were encouraged to propose during this time, Greeks felt it was a bad year to marry, and crops could suffer. Woot. Real cool, huh? Well I don't think so. I think Leap Day should become the next Halloween. It would give us something to look forward to, instead of just a random day that pops up every four years only to remind us that we're getting older.

What do you think of Leap Day?

Best,

11 comments:

  1. I used to watch Are You Afraid of The Dark! Was one of my favorites, right up there with Goosebumps and Outer Limits. My favorite episode was the comic book one; solidified that healthy fear of clowns after IT, heheh.

    To be honest, I've never thought about leap year... it does make sense if there were a superstition of a full moon on that day. I concur to make it another spooky day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comic book episode was a good one. I was always freaked about by the 'dead man's float' episode because my Nana had a pool. Every summer I was afraid there was something I couldn't see in the water. I'd be swimming and having a good time, then the memory would flood back and I'd scurry to the shallow end lol.

      I think it would be fun to have another spooky holiday. Having only Halloween just isn't enough! The only issue with leap year is that it would take so long for the holiday to come around, I'd probably get annoyed lol. Still, it seems it should be a special and spooky time.

      Delete
  2. I agree, we should definitely celebrate the Leap Year Day more! :D I do not know about other countries' traditions but in Finland the Leap Day was the day a woman could propose (in the old times when it was a scandal if a woman suggested a marriage) and if the man refused to marry her, he would have to buy her fabric for a new skirt. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read about that! In one version the man is supposed to buy her 12 pairs of gloves so she can hide her ringless finger from the public (to save the embarrassment of being rejected). I wonder how many women abused that lol.

      Delete
  3. Hm...I've never thought about it until now, it seemes quite natural to me, probably because I can't actually associate it with any event like a birthday or anniversary...but yes, 'second halloween' sounds like a good idea! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only associate it with my uncle's birthday, but I'm sure he wouldn't' mind sharing the day with another Halloween lol.

      Delete
  4. I agree! I think Leap Day should be celebrated! It's a big deal!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only comes but once every four years, therefore it should be special! ;)

      Delete
  5. Agreed, why isn't this a wine-and-chocolate holiday??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever would give the chance for a second halloween, I would join! <3

    ReplyDelete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​