Sunday, 31 January 2016

January 2016


January in Review

It was January. It's that reclusive, dark and bitterly cold time of year where all you want to do is hide indoors with a good cup of tea, an enthralling story and a warm cuddly blanket. Yet, I've been surprised this new year. I have said "hola" to the great El Niño that is warming Canada and bringing our temperatures, at times, to ten degrees above average. It's both confusing and awesome when you wake up in January to rain on your windowpane and crocuses popping up in the garden. Seriously! But not every day has been that good. Two days ago I went to run errands and the bitter cold wind had me sobbing like a little girl. It's snowed intermittently, yet it seldom stays very long. This is the kind of winter I could get used to. 

I had planned on vegging out early in the month but I was called back into work for an extra six days. Sadly, I still don't have enough hours to qualify for employment insurance. I was pretty pissed but my fiancé felt worse. I'm only a week short. I could still get that week, but it does feel as though I'm chasing this impossible window set out by the government. Every month that passes I need more shifts to compensate for it. Thankfully when I worked at the clinic February was our down month, so I if I get another week or two of factory work I could qualify for EI. It would be awfully nice if I did get it because every little bit helps, especially in a season where nobody is hiring.

I managed to get some sewing done early in the month. I've completed a skirt and I'm working on the tutorial for you guys. I hope someone finds it to their liking. I've also been sewing my wedding dress. Now, I already have a dress, but it needs repairs and to be dry cleaned. I'm worried it won't survive the dry cleaners, as sometimes they don't know how to take care of wedding dresses and they totally ruin them. I would like to be prepared for that possibility, so I've set out on a mission to make a "backup" wedding dress.

I've been using salvaged materials from an 80's wedding dress that I bought during my undergrad. It only cost me $8. I also got some free bridal satin from a garage sale last summer, which has been a tremendous help. It's cost me about $150 for the tulle, lining, lace, muslin and all of the other materials. Eventually I might need to buy a few more meters of tulle and some boning for the corselette. Even at that, a whopping $200 for a handmade, fitted wedding dress is still pretty damn good. Especially when you consider that I can repair the other two wedding dresses I have and sell them for $200 each, I'd have my "backup" wedding dress completely paid off! :) And if you're wondering, the other two dresses I have stashed I paid $60 and $8 for. I didn't blow a few thousand bucks per dress, I don't have that kind of money lol. They just need some repairs and love and care and they'll be as good as new.

I have yet to finish the backup dress, but I really love what I'm seeing so far. I'm going to base it off of the Lazaro 3108, the lace belt will be different, and it will be made of diamond white satin. I've loved this dress for ages, but  $3500 USD (nearly $5000 CAD) is a lot of money for a dress. I'll be posting pics of both my handmade dress and the purchased gown so I can compare them. If I'm stuck between them I'll ask your opinions on which looks best. 

This is the Lazaro wedding dress that I'm going to knock off!

Health & Wellness

I've been fairly unwell for the last month and a half. There's this weird stabbing pain in my back, and there are pains in my front left side. I was worried I had a UTI or kidney infection. I've been to three different doctors, had multiple tests run and given two different antibiotics and so far nothing. At this point I need to see an internist to have my digestive tract looked at and see if it's related to the bowels. I'm due to see my gyno in Feb, just in case the pains and illness are post-op related. Everyday for the last two weeks I've awoken with the feeling of gut rot, like after binge drinking. I've been eating healthy, or at least when I have an appetite... it's hard to feel hungry when you feel like you're going to hurl.

Blog Stuff

I'm amazed I actually sewed something this month. I made sure it was a small enough project to complete in a timely manner, mind you, it wasn't easy. There was a lot of trial and error. I think for the future months I'll continue to set small goals and hopefully I'll successfully build myself a new wardrobe this year. I won't be sewing my wedding dress all the while, only in increments. I don't want to make it right now, only to find out by August that I've gained or lost too much weight to wear it. My plan is to have it completed by May or June. If I don't finish it by early summer I'll probably get called into work and won't have enough personal time to finish it. I have one or two larger projects that I still would like to finish but I'm not sure when I can squeeze them into my schedule. For the spring I want to focus on knitwear because it's not something I'm familiar with. As for blog posts, I do plan on making more of them. I don't want this poor little blog to go neglected, but I have been busy, so please excuse my absence. ♥

Best,

14 comments:

  1. Your wedding dress plans sound interesting, I´m very curious already! I love snow, so I´d be happy about a few more snowy days :D
    Have a great time in February :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that February goes well. :) I'm excited for my dress and the wedding planning. It gives me something to focus on while I'm sick. I plan on posting all of the progress to the blog throughout the year.

      Delete
  2. I've been so cooped up too, not really doing anything since November.
    I hope you feel a bit better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I'm like this at winter, I just go into my own personal hibernation. There's been lots of little household chores (putting up shelves and what have you) that I've had plenty of time to do but for some reason never get around to. That's just the way it is, I won't get out and shop or see the world until April lol.

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better. Looking forward to seeing your sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I start new meds today, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. I've been resisting the strong urge to hermit myself-- it's much much more difficult than I had originally anticipated. It's kind of like I had the attitude "I can go out whenever I want", but then it just never happens lol.
    Not feeling the best certainly doesn't help matters, I'd imagine. I do hope something is resolved with your ailments.

    In the meantime, it's great to hear you're back to sewing and I simply can't wait to see what you have in store!
    It's funny that you made a skirt, for the only thing I have sewn for myself since January is a skirt too! Heheh, I just haven't gotten around to actually posting about it either.
    Your wedding dress plans sound really great, but I do hope you don't need the back up and they dry clean your first one right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what's it's like for me. I know I can go out whenever I want, but somehow I never quite make it there. I've been meaning to go out and shop for shoes for months, bridal and regular, but I just want them to come to me. Like a door-to-door shoe salesman lol. How awesome that we both made skirts! I can't wait to see yours. :)
      I hope the dry cleaner doesn't butcher my dress, but I understand the risk is there. I'm a little bummed that I never considered the sales here in town. One of the bridal shops just had their $99 dress sale but I hesitate to check those things out because of a) the bridezillas and b) the dresses are usually the cheap ones to begin with and aren't well made. That being said though, it would be awfully nice to have bought a back up ready-made one so I could just embellish it. But, I've already bought my materials. Such is life!

      Delete
  5. Argh, January was simply awful in terms of weather for me too. I simply can´t handle minus eighteen degrees celsius, that´s not for me. As you said, all one can do is hibernate at home with tea, books and movies. It is not a bad thing if you choose it based on your free will, but it is totally different when you have no other option...

    But I am happy to see you are making the best of it with your sewing. Making your own wedding gown is amazing. You must be a very talented girl! I am really looking forward to see how it goes! And also, I am sure that skirt tutorial will be extremely handful (I will be taking notes for sure, haha).

    I wish you lots of love and a better February!

    Violette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, darling. I hope February will be better. We're supposed to be having warmer temperatures tomorrow, I can finally go out and wear a dress without freezing my bum off! I can't stand cold weather, it goes right through me. Even the slightest temperature change causes me to shiver. It's going to snow next week and I'll probably be housebound. I guess I better get all my errands out of the way while the weather is still nice.

      I'm excited to be sewing my dress. Even if I don't end up using the one I make I'm sure I can find a girl who will love it just as much as I do. I'm looking forward to sharing the process of making my gown with everyone. :)

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see your handmade dress and your purchased dress! You are right about the weather! Very weird! I don't like it! LOL! Sending you good wishes for your health! It's not fun when you are not right and you don't know what is going on! That is what happened to me! No problems with being busy! We understand! Blog when you can! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need good luck with my health. I started new meds, we'll see where that takes me. This weather is strange, it snows then melts then snows again! I want spring already lol.

      Delete
  7. Lovely dress! Can't wait to see how it turns out! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm eager to work on it. :)

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​