Saturday, 31 October 2015

Halloween 2015


Happy Halloween!

Too bad I'm posting about it now, but I suppose that only goes to show how incredibly bat shit crazy it's been. The whole month of October has been overwhelming. I've been a very busy girl, both in and out of the sewing room. Good news, which seldom happens in my life so I figured I'd mention it first, is that we're getting out of our dumpy semi! At the very end of September we visited a townhome that I had been skeptical about looking at merely because of it's location. After spending a good few weeks staring down houses and townhome rentals I honestly felt as though my brain was turning to mush and most certainly would come dribbling out of my nostrils. It's awful house hunting, even as a renter!

I looked at so many listings, I felt like I was going cross-eyed. I called so many people that I lost track of them. Out of all of the places I looked at online, my fiancé and I only visited four in person. The first had its issues; it was pretty from the outside but beat up on the inside. It was an old Victorian era home that had seen its day; holes in the ceiling, dirt, body hair everywhere, no parking, and black mould galore. I knew when I stepped inside it that I wanted right back out. Plus it was the most expensive rental we looked at, which put it up for elimination very early on. The second place we looked at was a townhome that had a great basement, an okay backyard, an amazing kitchen, but a small living room, small bedrooms, a dumpy bathroom, an unreliable deck, and the front yard was basically a highway. Overall, we didn't care for it. I kept searching but all I could find was hugely overpriced shitholes for houses, or all shared accommodations like duplexes. My fiancé and I are very private people and are not comfortable sharing a kitchen, a basement, a backyard or a bathroom with other people. It's just not cool. Sadly, we're seeing more and more of this slum lord mentality; people are buying up nice places and splitting them so two or three families live face to face with one another. I could understand this in a small, overpopulated country, but we live in freaking Canada! It's like one big empty piece of land, I see no reason for this crap other than greedy ass landlords!! 

We viewed two townhomes in one day, but it was the second last one that I became smitten with. I instantly fell in love with it the moment that I stepped into the kitchen. I actually felt a flutter in my chest, very similar to when I purchased my wedding dress. I knew I wanted it. It's only a few years old, and it's been well kept as the last tenant was the landlord's son. It's owned by a property developer and not someone inexperienced. It's practically the same size as our current place but it's a condo. This means that it doesn't really have a front or backyard. There's no garage, but we get to complain to a property manager when our neighbors piss us off and we never have to mow the lawn or tend to the garden ever again! The pros certainly outweighed the cons. It's in a new neighborhood, so there aren't many people to annoy me (unlike our current residence which is bursting at the seams with people. Christ, it might as well be its own city). Almost every unit in the complex is owned, meaning there is home ownership and pride in the grounds. You really don't see that in rental complexes where people could give an ass if they set their own back patio on fire. With home ownership there's an effort to make things look nicer and I really appreciate that.

I felt bad that we still had to see another townhome even though we had already committed and applied to our unit. I didn't want to stand the next lady up so we visited the place and made pretend that we were "thinking about it". She was nice and the unit was okay for its age, but the complex was the total pits. There was garbage everywhere, soiled mattresses, shoes and toys all through the parking lot and the living room looked out onto a busy street. After we got into the car I asked my fiancé if he had regretted committing to the previous townhome and without hesitating he told me "absolutely not". I think we lucked out with the unit we'll be moving into. I truly believe that because it isn't close to schools and it's off to the side that people kept overlooking it. It's actually in the area I grew up in so I'm completely comfortable with it. 

I'm ecstatic. I no longer have to feel as though I'm making due in a student housing complex, I don't have to smell nasty cat and dog pee, deal with the bus stop noise pollution, or the jerks throwing garbage all over the yard. It's so pretty, I can't wait to decorate it and show pictures you!



Spook Scary Skeletons

So, to follow that, I had to pack a bunch of things up. This included most of our Halloween decor. We put out our pumpkin stake lights this year, our vintage blow molds, and carved pumpkins, but largely the house wasn't decorated inside. I needed to pack like mad because we had a showing today, immediately after Halloween, and that's not how I would prefer it... I tried to sew a princess fairy dress but time was against me, and in a last ditch effort I manged to hot glue some roses and lace to a head band and became a skeleton bride. My fiancé had wanted to be a voodoo doctor for some time, and he asked me if I could help him do it. He also wanted matching costumes, which at the time I didn't think could be done. I really didn't want to go as a voodoo doll, especially because so many people do that as a couples costume and it looks kind of blah to me. Yesterday afternoon he suggested that I could be his "deceased bride" that he brought back from the dead to marry. I thought it was sweet, so I got some makeup and we painted ourselves up. I made his vest, his necklace and his hat. He did most of his own makeup, it looked good but needed a bit of fine tuning. Overall I'm really happy with how we looked, I think our costumes turned out great. Good thing I own so much goth stuff or I might not have had something to wear lol.




We had over a hundred kids, despite the weather. 30% of them didn't have costumes, that's more than last year. It may have been the poor weather but I honestly believe some kids don't care anymore. A lot of them loved our costumes and appreciated that we dressed up. Some of them thought we were scary, my neighbors' daughter especially did, she didn't even want candy from me lol. Every year I get one little girl that is cute beyond comprehension. This time it was a little blonde one who looked up at me and gawked, stating that she recognized who I was supposed to be but couldn't recall the name. I assumed she was thinking of The Book of Life movie, so I told her that's what I was from. Ecstatic, she told me how much she loved that movie, and right before leaving she turned to me and smiled, yelling "Toro! Toro!" I really wish I had given her more candy. 

I know next year we won't have as many kids, so I'm glad I got to have fun this year. I know it makes a huge difference for so many of them because they don't get to experience Halloween the way we used to. 

Kind regards!




10 comments:

  1. Omg you two look perfect! Can't wait to see the new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! :) I'm super stoked to decorate the new place for Christmas.

      Delete
  2. We only had the children from the flats beneath us over. And they were dressed up, so candy they got! You two looked so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved our costumes this year. That's great that you actually got costumed trick or treaters. I almost feel compelled to go to schools and put on workshops for kids to learn how to make their own costumes. It makes me sad to see so many kids not wearing them. One little boy had the audacity to sarcastically ask me, "what are YOU supposed to be?" and he wasn't even wearing a costume. I came very close to responding, "I'm supposed to be cooler than you."

      Delete
  3. Great costumes, looks very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I had a lot of fun this Halloween. :)

      Delete
  4. Aaaw, you two looked awesome! ^^ Congrats on the new sublet! I guess as long as you can't have your own home that you designed or built, it's simply impossible to find a place tha fits all your expectaions, so I think, that for a sublet, it's enough if the pros just outweigh the cons...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! How true, if I had money for the perfect house I'd build it, but I'm stuck picking through what's available. I've thought this about our new place often, the inside is gorgeous but smaller, but I like that it's nicer and well maintained. I still have yet to see the community in action though, I don't know much of the people living there, and if our neighbors will be loud and obnoxious. There's no real way of knowing and this makes me nervous, time will tell if I made the right choice. Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  5. You guys really looked great! Too bad so many kids don't bother dressing up, it sounds more like greed than Halloween :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I know, I'm not sure what lies behind kid's not wearing costumes. I tried to see if anyone else has noticed this but no articles came up in my research. I know costumes can be expensive, and there's a lot of pressure on this new generation to conform and buy licensed characters (Minions, Frozen, TMNT). It wasn't very often that I saw ordinary Halloween costumes. Those kids that did wear costumes were mostly wearing licensed ones. But, I did have a girl dressed up as a cow, one was a sort of gypsy fortune teller, maybe one or two vampires, but I didn't see a single witch, ghost, or devil. It's like kids completely reject the old fashion costumes. I remember being a cat when I was younger, my friend a jester, my brother a solider, he was a monster once too; there's plenty of costumes to choose from, so what gives? Even if costumes are expensive, the dollar store sells items you can use to create something, and you could just make your own. But kids don't think like that any more. It's sad.

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​