Sunday, 28 June 2015

June 2015


General Life Stuff

Greetings friends! June was a busy month for me. Being underemployed has allowed me more time to enjoy life's pleasures, like hiking, fishing, and creating art. I hate being cooped up inside, especially when the summer weather is so gorgeous. I've been able to stave off of insanity by going on vacation with my folks and small day trips with my fiancé. The first week of June my parents took me up to their trailer for a vacation. There was a lot of shopping, as I had mentioned in a previous post, but I also enjoyed a few long days of fishing (I caught mostly bass) and enjoying nature. My parents and I went for a hike on a lovely trail only a half hour's drive from their campsite. We saw a lot of unusual plants, trilliums and lady slipper flowers. I got to play with their DSLR camera but I'm a little rusty with it, I haven't used one in about three years time. I'm still getting reacquainted with all the different features and filters, but it's been a lot of fun. I have to apologize for this post being picture heavy but I wanted to share what I saw with you!


Our picture taking really started with the strawberry moon. My mother and I were out walking around the campgrounds when we spotted the moon, engorged and pumpkin colored, rising above the treeline. We quickly hurried back to the trailer to pick up the camera and headed toward the golf course where it had already shrank considerably. Their camera isn't equipped with a night setting so I had to teach them how to adjust the f-stop and shutter speed manually. Thankfully we managed to get a few shots of the moon looking gorgeous and golden! (Photo at the top of this post)

Throughout the week I continued to play with the camera, taking photos of the camp ground, our new flowers, and some fun things we found on our daily walks. And yes, that's me in my new floral dress I bought second hand, I was going for a retro look with my huge cat-eye sunglasses.


Overall the weather was great and we had a lot of fun, but the vacation felt very short as we were often running around doing errands. I'll be going up again soon for a longer vacation. I hope to go to the beach, the art shops and do some more fishing. I would also like to make more art as I didn't get the chance when I was up there last. I'm waiting on some supplies that are detrimental to my pieces, it's really irritating that our Canadian Michaels (craft store) doesn't carry half the products that the American one does...

Health & Wellness

Recovery is going well. I don't feel pains too often, just short shooting pains. I was given the okay to work out, however, it's very hard on my body. I tried a couple of sit ups and my abdomen was killing me the next day. I want to work out and build muscle mass. I've become painfully aware that I no longer have the body I did when I was 20. I'm sure if you look at my photos you're thinking I look fab and skinny, but I'm "fat" skinny, which means I'm nothing but flab and bone. Where I used to get away with that look as a young girl, I can't any more. I have a lot of cellulite now (around my thighs and on my bum) and my legs wobble when I walk. I am former anorexic, much of my muscle mass was eaten away during my eating disorder, when I began getting back on track with my diet I gained fat but never worked out enough to gain muscle. So my legs are rather unsightly, coupled with an increase in little spider veins (I hope to get treated, it could be $400 to do so XP). It's hard aging, nobody prepares you for this shit and nobody tells you how short lived your youth actually is.


Hobbies & Leisure

My fiancé and I have gone on a handful of day trips in the last few weeks. We found a little town that we absolutely adore but unfortunately there aren't any jobs or places to rent there. :( Getting into small towns is like trying to break into an impenetrable fortress! We hope to buy a house there someday if it's possible for my fiancé to work there. I hate my city, it's boring, cramped, and run down. I'm done with living here!

I admit, I've been shopping since my last thrift store post. *shame face* I recently visited a neighboring small town where I purchased a bunch of sewing patterns second hand (photo above). There was a wide variety of patterns to choose from, it looked as though someone had gotten rid of their entire stash! Even though I've been sewing for a handful of years I don't have all the fundamental patterns. I've been lacking in knitwear patterns and separates. I managed to choose about 20 patterns that I liked. All of them have a kind of formal, business attire look to them. I like that because I don't own a lot of professional looking garments, and I'd like to make some Corp-Goth outfits for future job interviews.

I decided to take advantage of the Kwiksew out-of-print clearance sale yesterday. The sale is running until next Friday if you're interested. I normally don't purchase from Kwiksew because the designs are often dated. They are beginners patterns, so naturally they look a little blocky or lack luster, but I found some patterns that I can see huge potential in. With shipping I paid approximately $3 a pattern which is still pretty good. I made sure to purchase a pants pattern, which I'm in need of, as well as some more knitwear. I've not exactly gone knit crazy, it's just that a good chunk of my fabric stash is knit and has been left unused for nearly seven years. I'm really excited to reduce my stash and use my new patterns. I also have a handful of patterns that I'll be selling off in my second Etsy store, plus a very special 1980's Goth prom dress which unfortunately doesn't fit me. Isn't this dress the tits?! (Photo left - spider wont' be sold with it lol)

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Jeffrey Campbell Litas. These shoes are impossible to come across here. They're mostly sold online in America and because our exchange rate is horrendous it would've cost me nearly $250 CAD to buy them used. I found a girl who had purchased one of the styles I like, and she never once wore them! I paid $150, which is more than I have to spend on stuff but I've been selling off old clothes, action figures and shoes to pay them off. I love them. They don't fit perfectly. I have small narrow feet, even when they're tightly laced they're a little loose but thankfully they don't cause me any pain. The spikes are pretty dangerous though, I gouged my leg when I mishandled them once! I even broke skin. XS


There's a possibility I might be stuck living in this city for awhile longer, and if I'm living in this house I think I'd rather paint my sewing room. I don't know if I'll paint any other room, as I said before I'm not keen on doing my landlord any favors, but I'm sick and tired of beige in my sewing room. It's such a soul sucking drab colour. I'm thinking of painting the walls in a rich purple but we'll have to wait and see. I might reupholster my chair and I definitely have plans of repainting my side table and my sewing desk, hopefully in a purple/turquoise combo. I've already purchased the stain, now I'm waiting to see if I can find some of the Decoart chalk paint. I'm excited to do some redecorating and make things more my style. 

Blog Stuff

I'm pleased that I got as many posts done as I did for this month. I'm still behind in some things. My fiancé needs to help me take photographs of my dress for my sewing post (the one that I finished before my surgery). I have been sewing a little. I tried my mom's new Brother sewing machine and I'm a little disappointed with it. I borrowed it so I could sew knits and I found that it was only somewhat useful, my serger is way better at sewing knits. I do like the walking foot and would like to purchase one for one of my Kenmore sewing machines. I have some pattern reviews planned for the month ahead, I can only hope I'll have things finished and pictures taken by then. I have one unfinished mood board post, I think that might be next up on my list, and I might do some Gothic Homemaker posts when I do my DIY home decor projects. I hope all is well with you! 

Best,

16 comments:

  1. Please don't hate your body for showing some signs of being human. It is great that you recovered from Anorexia (which was probably hard as hell)! And with your surgery your body will take time to heal before you can get sporty...

    Your pictures are really good, you have an eye for picture composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, photography was one of the courses I excelled in during my undergrad, I really miss it! I'm going to hold off on exercise and let my body rest up a bit more. I might try basic yoga since it seems less strenuous. My goal is to tone and build a little muscle mass. Other than my appearance, I'm really concerned about my long term health as I'm easily physically exhausted often (this was happening before my operation too). I'm hoping getting into shape might help me feel more energetic and motivated.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are beautiful!!!! Especially the light house. As for that aging thing, be glad you are still as young as you are - it only gets worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to prepare myself for aging, it's not something women around my age discuss. It's like we're all afraid to admit it's going to happen to us. My mother aged fairly well, so I can only hope I will too. All I can do is eat healthy, stay fit, wear sunscreen and plan my elder goth wardrobe lol.

      Delete
  3. Nice to hear you're steadily recovering. A lot of strength-building yoga uses your abs, so if you're trying to go easy on those muscles, maybe do free weights. I'm jealous of your lists. I've been wanting them forever and even bought a crappy knock-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, I would've dove right into yoga otherwise. I should probably just ask my brother to train me, he's a fitness maniac. I've been wanting the litas for a long time and I had considered buying a knock off pair that I found downtown. I decided against it when I saw the floor model already had spikes coming off and the suede was lifting. This is one of those times where substitutes weren't going to cut it for me, and I don't regret it the purchase at all.

      Delete
  4. Don't be so hard on yourself. You will look great at any age, as long as you take care of yourself and don't obsess over slight "imperfections" (which we all have, regardless age or weight).
    Oh, and I love your photos:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's true, we all have our imperfections. I try not to let them get me down too much, but every now and then I have one of those bad days. I'd like to work towards being more accepting of myself. :)

      Delete
  5. Getting older and flabbier - or flubbier - is completely normal, and you look great! The fact that we only see taut teenagers in adds and on TV is messing with our perception of "normal". I see real female bodies every day, and let me tell you: NONE of them look like what media is pushing on us daily (to make us buy more crap).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that all they use in ads is teens and early twenty somethings. I see young girls now and I want to yell at them to enjoy their youth while they've got it, because their time will come!! lol

      Delete
  6. The photos are gorgeous! And I am glad you've had a nice holiday and a good recovery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) My recovery has been really good this month, I hope it gets even better through July!

      Delete
  7. That photo of the moon is amazing!!!! The idea to paint your room purple is wonderful! I painted my room last year (mostly by myself, causing a back injury that I still can't work past) and regret nothing! Go for it! Though take it easy and make sure you have lots of help, since you had major surgery and painting can be a brutal job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure it'll be purple any more, I can't seem to find a purple that doesn't look too dark or too gray (my landlord said they'd foot the bill but likely only want cheap stuff, which makes selection difficult). I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'll get my man to help me out when I'm ready to paint. :)

      Delete
  8. thanks for sharing these nice vacation pictures with us :-) for the body, i guess we all somehow have to accept what is happening with it even when it is this difficult (yep, been crying because of that quite some times during the last few months, too...) and well, you got your surgery and things need time, too!
    hope you will do some of those diy posts you just mentioned :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words! It's definitely been hard, since the surgery my weight has fluctuated a bit which is frustrating. I'm going to try to take it easy but remember to eat healthy and do some less intense exercise. :)

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​