Friday, 29 May 2015

May 2015

General Life Stuff

It's super warm outside! Our A/C broke last year but this year our landlord is actually making an attempt to fix it. I hope it works out well because I get the feeling we'll have a few really hot days this summer. I am spiritually awakened by all this great weather. I get excited to go out at night, especially when I go to the park to see the bats. One flew so close to me the other night, I could hear it's wings flapping! :D Although the weather has been great I'm kind of bummed, I missed so much of my favorite season while I was in the hospital. I only caught the tail end of the blooming apple and magnolia trees and all the tulips and daffodils. I miss my parents' home, where there are large lilac bushes planted by the windows. When I lived there I would open up my bedroom window and gorgeous floral aromas came pouring in. I'd love something like that again. When I buy my first house with my fiancé, I would like to look for a home with a great yard and lilac bushes or cherry trees.

It's sad that I missed most of spring, but I'm happy that summer is here (I consider June the beginning of summer). I'll be going on vacation for a few days at my parents' trailer again. I plan on fishing, reading, making more art, hiking and visiting the small shops. I'm really excited to have some time away from home. My fiancé pokes fun of me, saying that I'm home all the time anyways and that it's like a vacation. I'm quick to point out that I was housebound because of illness and it might as well be a prison sentence. I love the outdoors and yearn to be out enjoying it, not bed ridden re-watching the same TV series over and over and over again. >.<

Health & Wellness

As I had mentioned before I was readmitted to hospital a second time with two different infections. I stayed for nearly a week and it was hell. I've never been more uncomfortable in my life. I'm not sure what I ended up with, but I was told I had a bug and a fungus. They took all sorts of tests all around the clock. I was awakened each night around 3 AM to get my blood taken. Now, I'm not afraid of needles (I mean come on, I sew lol) but I absolutely hate getting IVs and having my blood taken. The reason for this is because it's difficult, I have small veins that roll. If I'm lucky the nurse will listen to me and do their best to use the smallest needle they have, if I'm not lucky - which seems to be the case - they'll use a large needle with no success and it hurts like hell. Basically they'll poke me anywhere between 2-5 times and manipulate the vein, which is crazy painful. On the day that they removed my abscess drainage bag (scary bag that goes through your abdomen) they tried to give me another IV because the last one "blew." They tried three times and failed so they sent me without it. It was torture. I think during my stay I was pricked somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times.

I had been in a lot of pain but after being on antibiotics and lots of narcotics I started to feel better. Even my res doctors (whom I grew to adore) were happy to see me coming along. My one res doctor reminded me daily that I had been very, very sick and that each day would seem like a small step toward recovery. By the end of the week I had felt almost 70% recovered. They had removed the catheter on the Monday of that week, on my last day they removed the drainage bag. After having all the tubes taken out of me I felt amazing lol, only because I hated them that much. They sent me home on antibiotics which I've since finished, I ended up with thrush because of it (gross ass crap babies get, if you're child has had it they probably couldn't vocalize to you how nasty it is - it's nasty!!). I'm feeling much better. The first few days home were slow but I'm okay with walking around the house now. I can go to the bathroom without having black-out inducing pain. My abdomen is still sensitive and it hurts sometimes. I'm scared of going back to work at the animal clinic but I think I might be ready.

Due to bed shortages, I had to stay in the cancer ward while I was at the hospital. It was nice to have a semi-private for free but the atmosphere there was very heavy. I could hear the women talking to their families about losing their hair in clumps and feeling sick. It made me very depressed. I met a lovely lady on my last day who was super enthusiastic and talkative. She had no problem telling me about her cancer and her experiences, and she encouraged me to live my life without worry. My time spent at the hospital had quite an impact on me. I've never really known anybody with cancer and I've never seen the effects of chemo before. When I got home I broke down and cried. It didn't help that my fiancé had told me of a woman, around my age, who had just died at the same hospital from flesh eating disease. I lost my shit. Here's this woman who just had her second child and she dies from this thing she has no control over. Knowing that she was downstairs at the same time, somewhere suffering and seeing her last moments; knowing I had women and men all around me sickly and dying; I could not stop crying. Even now I'm filled with sorrow. It teaches me to appreciate the life I do have and to live it to the fullest. I'd love to do something for cancer research or donate art to the cancer ward some day.

Hobbies & Leisure

I've been working on my folk art again. I'm finishing my first piece (right) and I'm excited to give it to my mom. She's the reason I got into folk art, so I figured it would be befitting to offer her my first work of art. If you were a follower last year you might recall me writing about my struggles with making my art. The big issue was developing prototypes, and that's still my problem today. It is very time consuming but once I'm done prototyping I should be ready to produce good quality pieces, efficiently. I'm not planning on making mass amounts of them. I might sell a handful of pieces in my shop at a time (and because they're art/sculpture they won't be cheap, so I don't expect them to sell like hotcakes). To make my shop less skimpy I'm going to continue selling patterns and possibly prints of my paintings in the future. It's just like last year, only this year I'm developing a plan and working towards more realistic goals. Fingers crossed it works out this time!

Blog Stuff

I have many posts planned for June! There's a sewing/tutorial post still in the works. I have a knit project I might work on and an upcycle project. I plan on writing a post about my successful "Goth" thrift store haul! I'm also writing a plus sized fashion post. You may have noticed I included a gardening post recently, I'd like to continue doing a few non-fashion related posts in the future. It's more like gardening and home-making for the Goth and Alt enthusiast. Don't worry, it won't take over my blog, my hope is that it will fill in the gaps when I'm sewing. Please note that while I'm on vacation I do not have internet access, so if I suddenly go missing and your comments aren't published I'm probably away enjoying the sunshine. ;)

Let me know if there is anything you would like to see more of on this blog. You can hit up the contact button at the top of the page.


12 comments:

  1. nice to hear you're feeling better! I love your fashion posts, but I'd be interested in home stuff too. I trust your decisions. I'm sure whatever you post will be cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input! :) I plan on keeping the non-fashion posts somewhat relevant to this blog. I'd love to do some Goth home decor projects, like DIY stuff. I think that'd be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. Great that you are getting better! That folk art piece is very interesting, I would love to see more posts about your art projects, especially what you will produce on your holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan on doing a few more Halloween prim dolls while I'm away on vacation. :) I'm excited to be getting back into my art.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy the vacation and take some pics!^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll take lots of pics. :)

      Delete
  4. Aaaw, I'm so glad to hear that you're back home and doing better!
    I have the same problem with blood tests, I have tiny, unseeable veins too...^^ Anyway, I hope you recover fast and you can forget the hospital stuff...just the thought of it makes me cringe.

    It's crazy hot over here as well. We went to a dragon boat festival last weekend to cheer for a friend who raced, but we left right after it was over because I couldn't stand the heat...I'm not leaving the flat this summer anymore...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol That was like me a few summers ago. We had sweltering heatwaves (40°C with the humidity). I remember buying a popsicle and it melted all over me within two minutes! Thankfully our weather this year has already improved, yesterday dropped down to almost freezing temperatures, it felt more like fall.

      And thank you! I'm feeling almost completely recovered. I have some days where I'm a bit sore, but I've already been back to work and things are looking better!

      Delete
  5. I too struggle with the atmosphere in hospitals. My mom's worked in a cancer centre for like 15 years and comes home chipper and unaffected most days, I don't know how she does it. I am so glad you're feeling better, you definitely didn't have an easy time with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your mom must be emotionally strong, I couldn't handle that job. I noticed that the nurses in the cancer ward are pretty upbeat and funny. They just sort of accept it all as it is. Every time they'd come in and talk to a patient I'd hear them say "Is your hair falling out?" as if they were asking about the weather or something, and the patients responded well to it. I guess it's a good thing, if you were emotionally strung out it would only make the patients feel worse, so it makes sense.

      Delete
  6. enjoy your time off and please bring some photos with you when you come back! oh and damn health, now leave the next shit to someone else please <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I hope no more health problems for a good long time!! *fingers crossed*

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​