Monday, 11 May 2015

A slow recovery

It was my intention to write a sewing post, a fashion post, sell some crap, make some art, but guess what I'm doing instead? I'm lying in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of me. >:( I had mentioned before that they discovered a hematoma in my abdomen, apparently it's been causing more problems. I was enduring excruciating pain when going to the bathroom, and ten days after surgery I felt I should be improving not getting worse. I visited my family doctor with concerns of a urinary tract infection, he prescribed me with antibiotics but told me to go to ER if I felt worse.

I went to my parents house for a nap and immediately things got worse. I couldn't sleep, I had pains in my abdomen and in my lower back. I tried extra strength ibuprofen, a hot shower, hot water bottles, but nothing worked. I was crying out in pain. I couldn't pee at all any more. I was concerned my uti had spread to my kidneys so I decided to visit the ER.

They ran a series of blood tests, put an IV into me and inserted a catheter. They also did a physical exam of my vagina. It was the worst pain in all my life. The catheter hurt tremendously! Because I had a UTI it burned all the way through insertion and I writhed in pain. I begged them to remove it but they said they couldn't. The clamp was inserted so they could do the physical exam and I screamed out in pain. It was like inserting a mace into my vagina, apparently I was still swollen and sore inside from the hysterectomy.

They found my vaginal incision was slightly infected and that I definitely had a UTI. They also suspected that my hematoma was infected and placing too much pressure on my organs, causing pain when I went to the bathroom. They ordered up an ultra sound to get a better look, and then they admitted me to the hospital. That was Friday.

I've had a catheter ever since then. They've flushed me with antibiotics in an attempt to combat the infection. I had been having fevers and chills on and off, too. My doctors decided to send me for a CT scan to get a better look at the hematoma because they wanted to drain it. This is that scary thing they mentioned last time of inserting a giant needle into my abdomen... Well it's worse than that. They inserted a tube into my abdomen and let the blood drain into a bag which will stay with me for a few days. There's just a tube going into my tummy!! It's so gross.

So here I am fixed up with a blood bag, a catheter and an IV, staying for nearly a full week in hospital. This is not how I imagined things would be. I'm happy we're draining my hematoma and fighting off the infections, but it's been awful. I just break down and cry most of the time. :( The hospital is a lonely place, it's noisy and depressing (I'm in the cancer ward, there are lots of very sick and sad people). I just wish I could go home, cuddle my cats, water my flowers, sew and blog more. I'm only able to write right now because my fiancé brought me my phone (I don't keep it with me because the risk of theft). I'm told I'll be out soon, but in case you don't hear from me for the rest of May I'm sorry I fell behind! I'm still checking all your blogs and trying to reply to/post comments when I can. :)

Kind regards,
Ladyfair

18 comments:

  1. Ouch! I can only imagine the pain you are in. *hugs* just hugs to you my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg hang in there! Sounds terrible. Good thing you went to the er and are getting treatment. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty awful, I'm scared to think what could have happened if I didn't go to the ER. Thank you for your kind words.~

      Delete
  3. You poor baby! What a horrible ordeal. I am so sorry to hear of all this misfortune. I hope things are looking up for you really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry! Sending you healing hugs!!! Please take care of yourself and know we are all thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your healing hugs. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, gosh, what the hell...?! Hang in there, whatever unimaginable pain you're in now, you're getting treatment and that's good. I hope you get out of hospital soon and can recover swiftly at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Your comment made me laugh, what the hell were the exact words out of my mouth when they explained what they'd be doing to me! I'm happy to be home now.

      Delete
  6. Oh my you poor thing! That all sounds awful. I'm so sorry this happened to you from a surgery you were so wanting and looking forward to you. Isn't that the way it goes, nothing can ever go smoothly sometimes it seems. I am sending so much healing energy your way! I hope you will get to go home soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely surprised that it turned out this way! Going in I was so excited but I was rather naive to think it would be like my previous surgeries. I didn't know any of the warning signs of infection and unfortunately (although all my female relatives have had hysterectomies) none of my relatives remembered their symptoms. So I was left in the dark until my body stopped working right. I'm happy to announce that I am home and I'm healing now. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh no, no, no! What horrible misfortune! And that description of what they did to your vagina and how it felt/feels... it makes me cringe just reading it! I'm so sorry. In the greater scheme of things, I'm glad to find out you finally had your hysterectomy. I just wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy the procedure is finally over, it took *forever* to get to this point. I've had moments where I regret getting it done, and other moments where I'm ecstatic about it. Like for one, wearing underwear without a pad or tampon, like wow, I've never had that before!!! It's so awesome. :) I'm home recovering now, so hopefully there won't be any more issues.

      Delete
  8. oh noes :-( i'm sorry and hope it will be fine again asap <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! :D

      Delete
  9. Oh my goddess! That's terrible. :( I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​