Friday, 24 April 2015

Getting to Know Me



The "Liebster Award" and a little about me!

I recently discovered that I was nominated for the Liebster Award, this is an award given out by bloggers for other bloggers. I first heard about the award when I started blogging and I was initially put off by the idea, it sounded more like a chain letter and something that individuals could easily misuse to buff up the appearance of their blogs. I realize now, a year later, after having seen it implemented on a handful of blogs, that it does a decent job of bringing blogging communities closer together. Unfortunately as Goth and alt bloggers we have to rely on the community to get the word out about our blogs. It's not like Bloglovin', which only advertises mainstream bloggers who are typically paid to talk about macaroons and yoga. The masses aren't interested in our ideas about home decorating, gardening, culture, politics or hair dye! It's really crucial to have something like the Liebster Award for the alternative blogs out there.

First, I'd like to thank Lady Nancy of  †Retro:electric† for nominating me. I absolutely adore her blog and would have nominated her if she hadn't been the one to nominate me lol. Go check her blog out in case you haven't, she has fabulous style!

I'm going to do this in reverse order, I'll start with the questions and then post my nominations (and a few honorable mentions) at the bottom of this post, plus the rules in case you're interested in participating! ;)


What would like to know?

1.  When and why did you start blogging?

Coincidentally, I just celebrated my first full year of blogging last Friday (April 17th). I started this blog because I have a passion for alternative and Goth fashions. I had begun a vintage fashion blog a month earlier and I was really struggling to keep the content strictly vintage. It seems I'm not a vintage girl, I'm more alt/Goth and I just can't devote all my time to vintage sewing and wearing a vintage wardrobe. I had to start a new blog where I could discuss my thoughts on alternative fashion and my alt sewing projects. I really wanted this blog to act as a resource for sewists but I also just wanted a place to express myself through fashion (hence the drawn out articles on different fashion subcultures and styles that I like). I sometimes think of Bien Aimeé as a big magazine that has a little of something for everybody.


2.  With MP3s and internet streaming, do you still buy CDs or DVDs?

Only if I truly like something will I purchase a hard copy of it. I get nostalgic with CDs, I own the entire discography of Matthew Good Band because their music makes me cream myself (I'm missing only one rare disc that would cost me $200 or more, I haven't been able to justify buying it yet). I listened to that band basically since they debuted, all the way up to the point that they broke up and the lead went solo (he sucks pretty badly now). Once I almost gave away Limblifter's self-titled album but was overjoyed when my fiancé had found it in a box in the garage. It's not something special to most people but I personally think of it as one of the best albums in my entire music collection. That's not to say I own all of my favorite bands' CDs, I downloaded the entire discography of the Pixies and Placebo, among other things. As for DVD's, we're too broke to replace everything with Blu-ray but if we could we would. I dislike what's available through Netflix and the quality of Blue-ray is better overall. I stream all the time, mind you, I'm an internet pirate. Yarrrr!


17 year old me. Good god!

3.  How would you describe your style of dress?

lol I have no clue. An eclectic mashup of girly, alt, vintage and Goth. I own some very basic wardrobe staples that any girl would probably have, a lot of floral dresses and nice skirts, mostly because they're comfortable and easy to accessorize. It's only really on the days when I'm expected to be somewhere that I go all out alt/Goth. I used to dress up more frequently when I was a teenager (photo on the left).


4.  What religion or philosophy do you ascribe to?

I'm not terribly spiritual. I used to believe in things like ghosts and scrying, but after attending university and learning about the European witch hunt a lot of that changed. I believe in science, so I only believe in what can be measured, tested, analyzed or observed (using whatever applicable methods). This doesn't mean that I will entirely discount the belief in psychics or ghosts, it's just that I feel there's insufficient evidence to establish that these things are real and/or within human control. In regards to life after death, I can't accept that we just die and that's all because it doesn't make sense to me. When I regard all other aspects of life as we know it, I feel as though everything is cyclical and for the human soul (or energy if you will) to simply vanish as though it never existed seems so illogical and nonsensical to me. I mean if we're going to say that the energy of our spirit ceases to exists, then to me the universe itself must also have that ability to "die" and if so, for what purpose? 

Oh and philosophy: "Be excellent to each other." 


5.  What are your favorite TV shows on the air right now?

I don't watch TV all that much. When we're snuggling, my man and I like to watch Antiques Roadshow. I've rewatched all my old TV favorites, like Goosebumps, Are you Afraid of the Dark and Sailor Moon. I sometimes watch Sewing with Nancy on PBS. Oh, and I really like Cutthroat Kitchen.

Fishing last fall!

6.  What other hobbies do you participate in, besides blogging?

Well it should go without saying... sewing lol. I've been starting to grow flowers for my backyard, that's like a new hobby for me. I enjoy hiking in the woods, reading, drawing, sometimes painting, crafting, fishing, antique shopping and going to small towns. I also love to learn about animals and nature.


7.  If you participate in the arts, which ones do you participate in?  Are you a hobbyist or a professional?

Is anybody a professional artist these days? I can never tell with this economy. :( I like to create folk art, it's sort of embarrassing to admit because not a lot of people within our community or my age group are into folk art. I'll mention it and people will just sort of look at me dumbfounded. I really want to continue with creating folk art, even if it means I'll never make any money. I earned my Bachelors in Vis Arts, and I excel at drawing. I used to want to do video game art but I feel my heart really isn't in it any more, I'm not good at drawing on the spot as much. I was once asked to draw a comic for this place I worked at (it fell through because I was only on contract for 2 months in a student program). I felt bad because it takes a long time to draw and digitally ink fully illustrated pages in a month. I never finished it. I'm not sure I'm *that* kind of artist, like the kind who works on demand. Although, I have the most adorable little comic that I want to get working on, but thankfully it's mine and I can complete it at my own pace.


8.  If a movie was being made about your life, which actor/actress would play you?

Oh god.... none of them. I hate actors these days lol. I'd demand that I be the casting director and I would give a chance to a girl who's been overlooked simply because she doesn't fit the stereotypical mold of what Hollywood wants. It saddens me to think of all the wonderful actors and writers out there who could make the most beautiful films but don't simply because it's not "marketable".


9.  Choose one: Coffee or tea? 

I can't drink coffee, it makes me ill. Although I love coffee flavoured desserts. I'm a tea drinker, I adore white raspberry tea but nobody makes it any more. Lately I've been drinking Ginger Twist by Mighty Leaf.


10.  What colors have you dyed your hair?

Blonde, black, brown, burgundy, strawberry blonde (looked like ass on me), bright red, hot pink, fuchsia, cherry pink, and finally blue and purple!


11.  Introvert, extrovert, or ambivert?

I admit, I've never heard of an ambivert before, I guess I relate to it?? People have said I'm more introverted but it really depends on who you talk to. I'm a social butterfly in the right setting but I'm also a homebody. So yeah, ambivert. 


11 Random facts about me:

1. My middle name is Christina, first name Holly, my grandfather called me "Holy Christ".
2. I once brought home a large cow hip bone when I was a child but I thought it was human and evidence of a murder, my mother was horrified by this and removed the bone when I wasn't home. I have never forgiven her for it.
3. I used to dress up as a boy and try my best to convince people that I was a boy. Not out of the desire to be a boy, but because dressing up is fucking cool and I like acting. 
4. I was also really into making myself look dead. I used to steal my mom's makeup when I was a kid and contour my face in purple, yellow and blue eye-shadows to make myself look like a living corpse. My mother did not approve.
5. I've been drawing and making art since I was a toddler and I've won a few awards. I received the art award in elementary school and secondary school, and in university I received the dean's award for my tribute to David Hoffos. If I can get the video of it I'll have to post it here someday. 
6. I've been hanging around cats for so long that I often accidentally speak to people in the same manner. 
7. I've found singing to my cats created stronger bonds with them, who knew?
8. I used to play guitar in an incredibly shitty garage band. I own a 5-string bass that I barely can play but I hope to figure it out some day because I'd love to be in a band like Morrissey or Oingo Boingo.
9. I don't really have a lot of friends. I used to be a party animal in high school with tons of friends but now I only really have two good friends, my fiancé and my friend Liz. It sucks and it's lonely sometimes but that's the price you pay for being different I guess.
10. I've never been out of my province and I hate it. Finances have made it difficult. I'm envious of you European girls because you can access other countries in a heartbeat! Ontario is pretty big, I've almost seen all corners of it.
11. I'm kind of old fashioned and aside from swearing occasionally, I do my best to be polite, honest and fair. :)


My Nominees

This was really difficult, I found so many of you deserving of this award and I feel like many of you have probably done this already. In case you have done it before or you don't want to do it, don't feel like you have to. I'm selecting nominees more so just because I want my other readers to see your blogs and know you're out there. :) 

The rules: 

1. Post the award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.
3. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have fewer than 200 followers.
5. Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.

Questions:

1.  When and why did you start blogging?
2.  What kind of music are you into?
3.  How would you describe your style of dress?
4.  What religion or philosophy do you ascribe to?
5.  What is your favorite TV show, film, video game or theatrical production?
6.  What other hobbies do you participate in, besides blogging?
7.  Are you apart of a subculture, if so what and how has it affected your life?
8.  If you could change one thing about you what would it be?
9.  If you could change one thing about the world what would it be?
10.  What colors have you dyed your hair?
11.  Are you an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert?


And give me 11 random facts about you!!!

I've selected:


Honorable Mention

I was only allowed to pick eleven and there are so many blogs I would love to nominate, so I'm going to give an honorable mention to a few more blogs I think my readers should definitely check out!!


12 comments:

  1. Plenty of people love folk art. My husband is a huge fan. And if you want to stretch the definition a bit, street art is basically folk art and that's booming. And I've got to say it again, your art is amazing! Thanks for the nomination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that's what surprises me, folk art encompasses a lot of different things, I don't see how people don't know about it. I suppose it depends on where you grow up, I was raised around country folk art and find it's one of my biggest influences. I love Bethany Lowe's work despite it being mass produced now. Thank you for complimenting my art! I hope to share more of it on here in the future. And you're very welcome for the nomination, I love your blog. ;)

      Delete
  2. "Holy Christ" haha!
    I find that I talk to babies like a talk to my cats. Their brains are on the same level anyway, responding to sounds and moods more than to commands :)

    Thank you for nominating me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I wasn't sure if you'd be online to see that I nominated you. :) That's a very good point about babies' having the intellectual capacity of cats! I've thought that cats behave like children before but never the other way around lol.

      Delete
  3. Wow you're a real artistic soul! I wish I could sew! I didn't know you had purple hair, you're so pretty! You should post more pics of yourself! I also have a "problem" with being a strictly vintage/rockabilly blog, though I wear dressed quite often, I like a lot of alternative styles. Oh and thanks for the lovely comments about my blog <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll probably post more pics in the future, I have a lot of sewing projects planned for the spring and summer. :) Hell yes to alternative style! I am definitely an alternative girl, I just find it's so free from prejudice and allows for lots of creativity. My heart swoons for vintage/rockabilly but it competes with my interest in goth fashion; coincidentally I'm working on a gothabilly dress tutorial right now lol.
      And you're very welcome, you have a lovely blog!

      Delete
  4. hm i was trying to write a comment on all the things you just told us about but got lost visiting all the other nice blogs you shared, some of them i've never heard of before! so thank you for sharing ALL of this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I follow a lot of cool blogs that I didn't even list here because there are so many, I plan on adding more to the sidebar. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for nominating me! I will try to remember to do the tag in my next post. I loved learning more about you, and you were a quirky kid like me, which is delightful! I think every 80s or 90s Canadian kid had an obsession with Are You Afraid of the Dark. SUCH A GOOD SHOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed learning about me, I always felt compelled to write more about myself on this blog but never had a reason to. I like getting to know the people in the blogging community, it's the nicest group of individuals I've ever met! And yes to AYAOTD!! I love that show!!

      Delete
  6. I used to feel the same way about blog awards in the past, then I saw just how much closer they bring us, bloggers to each other, so...Thank you so much for thinking of me! ^^ I've started working on the post already, I'm just a little flooded these days...:(

    I love folk art, you shouldn't feel embarrassed because you're into it.
    Apparently, I'm a graphic designer and I wanted to become an animation designer for videogames and animation movies, but there isn't much opportunity for that here, in Hungary...I wasn't considering the difficulty of working on demand, but you're right, it would drive me crazy too...I can't even do it as a photographer, when all I have to do is pushing buttons...and retouching. Ehm...it's somewhat disappointing to think about it, but I have to agree, noone is a professional artist these days...:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I look forward to your post when it's ready. :)

      I'm in the same situation here in London (ON), there's no artistic jobs, a few video game art jobs but I'm not qualified for any of them, they all want 3D animators. When I was a child I wanted to be an animator, all the way into my teen years, but I realized it was too demanding when I actually met an animation student. He told me he dropped out of college because it was too much to handle. That's when I realized it wasn't all it's cracked up to be, it has zero creative control and is more about reproduction and perfection. I'm a creator, so I would probably be better suited to concept artistry but that industry is awfully competitive. I think primitive folk art is where I fit as an artist, even if it never amounts to anything like a career, I'd still like to do it. I'll just have to find some ordinary job to pay the bills lol.

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​