Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Trends that I'm already over.

Have they worn out their welcome?

I try to keep abreast of current and upcoming fashion trends within the alternative scene. In recent years, we've seen an abundance of change within Gothic and alternative styles; there's been a revival of 70's inspired fashion, bold prints, occult symbolism, sheer fabrics, body suits and bondage straps. But have some of these trends already worn out their welcome?


Occult Prints

(Pictured above) I have an appreciation for what Killstar and Banned have brought to the alternative fashion scene, but I think they may have overdone it with their occult prints. I've already discussed with other bloggers that both design labels use an inappropriate mixture of cultural and religious symbolism in their pieces. Having a primarily Gothic consumer base, you would think that these designers would be more sensitive to the differences between Wiccan symbols, Egyptian symbols and Christian symbols. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, symbols do have meanings and they really shouldn't be smashed together for purely aesthetic reasons. I'm guilty of liking Banned Apparel's occult print leggings, which I featured in a mood board back in the fall, but I wish they had chosen a single set of symbols, like in Killstar's zodiac hoodie. Beyond the problem of ignorance, I just feel that these occult prints have been way overdone and that it hurts my eyes to look at them.

Second to overdone prints, I'm also completely over primarily black and white designs. As I've mentioned in the past, I would love to see more colour brought into the alternative wardrobe. I'll always have a place in my heart for black but I've lived with a black wardrobe for over half my life, it's time for something new. Sadly, I'm not seeing a whole lot of colour in recent fashion trends. There's a few galaxy prints and pastel goth items, but they're more like colour combinations of black and purple as opposed to solid colours. I'm really taken by aspects of Nu Goth, especially the sheer fabrics, which I plan on incorporating into my wardrobe, but I want something different than just all black. Like why aren't we seeing more white? I'd love that. I'd also love to see more metallics, like gun metal, silver or royal blue.



Body Suits

It's a cute idea, but I hate 'em. I hated them back in the 80's and I hate them now. Even if they have the pee flap or you have to take them off entirely just to go the bathroom, either way, they suck. They look great, but who wants to wear the equivalent to a bathing suit all day?! Please, let's not bring back impractical pieces like the body suit or the romper. I shouldn't have to undress to go to the bathroom!!!



Offensive Slogans

A trend that I despise is vulgar slogans. I've never really liked this stuff. I'm not talking about the "Bitch Craft" shirt that I featured back in September, which is a cute play on words, I'm talking about shirts that say things like "Go fuck yourself" or "I'm a whore". It's just so tasteless and immature to me. As a well educated woman, I cannot reduce myself to wearing those phrases on my body, especially during the day in public. Maybe to a nightclub, but to a cafe? Or the mall? Like really?! I have to ask my readers this, don't you think it's a tad cliché for a goth to wear something that deliberately shocks and offends? Do we really want to be known for that? We might as well have shirts that say we shoot up schools and kill babies.

A lot of hipsters have picked up on this vulgar trend and have incorporated it into their street fashion because they think it's subversive and shocking. The thing about being subversive is that you're doing something that's unexpected, but what's funny is the fact that this is exactly the kind of crap that I would expect from a hipster. I think it's time for people get some self respect and ditch the vulgar slogans.


Conclusion

Last January, I would've told you I felt Goth fashion was growing and improving at an unprecedented rate, but now I feel as though we've reached a plateau. I'm hopeful that we will see more sophisticated and feminine designs because there's been a lot of club wear recently and for the majority of us (who are corp goth, elder goth, or just more conservative) it's simply not practical to go out with your tits exposed!

What are your feelings on recent trends? What's worn out its welcome and what's here to stay? What would you prefer to see?


14 comments:

  1. Those cuss word shirts drive me crazy. They're so dumb. They were huge on lookbook a year or two ago... For a lot of girls who wore it, English wasn't their first language and I was like, do you know? While I like occult, the kill star ones you picture are so over the top... Visually it looks like a mess. Lol I love rompers though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol That reminds me of something my high school teacher told me; he was teaching Chinese exchange students english and part of their transition was to select an english name. One kid chose "Anus" and my teacher had to explain to him why he shouldn't use that for a name. I also once saw a Japanese shirt that had an english slogan that said "Grandpa Fucking Spaceship" it made me laugh pretty hard and I'd probably wear it, but all this other stuff is deliberately offensive and just perpetuates negative stereotypes about goths.

      Delete
    2. Lol that's pretty awesome.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't agree more, especially with the overly vulgar shirts. I used to wear body suits with the pee flap, ha!ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just worry for the youth of today, I see a lot of really gross crap on sites like Dolls Kill, showing girls with their ...parts exposed and shirts that say that they're loose. What happened to all the sophisticated and strong female role models in the Gothic community?

      And yes! Pee flaps, I used to have jersey knit body suits with snaps at the crotch! But we didn't wear them alone, we wore them with leggings that had stirrups lol.

      Delete
    2. I miss the pee snaps... They don't make em with the snaps anymore. They weren't very comfortable, but so convenient

      Delete
  3. I have an under bust girdle that has a pee flap, and can't at all imagine parading around in something very similar as a stand alone piece... it's too much of an undergarment or performance attire for me.

    I like occult pieces that are much more toned down than your examples, like some of the pieces from Jawbreaker-- their vitriol tunic tank (that I really want), and their Egyptian bastet hi lo dress (that I own) are ok in my book... but I can see how one can get tired of it, heh-- it's something we come to love and hate about fashion, right?

    I love black... no, I *live* black. Without black, I don't feel like I'm in the right skin-- it has to be somewhere prominent in my outfit or I'm just a walking poster child for discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wonder if anybody does wear these things as stand alone garments out in the daytime. I don't mind a bit of buttcheek showing at the beach, but on the streets? >.< That's just not my cup of tea.

      I like some of the occult pieces too, like I love the Bastet leggings from Killstar, but because they look so simple and aren't in some crazy over the top bandana print. It's like, when you can't look at someone because it hurts too much, that's a problem lol.

      I love my black too, but I've been opening up to unusual colours for more variety. Right now, I *adore* sea green. That would be a great colour to bring into my wardrobe. :)

      Delete
  4. Mixing symbols from differend religions or beliefs is very insulting. I haven't worn and will never wear clothes like those you pictured. Also, I never wear clothes with slogans I don't know the meaning of or that offend people.Though, I love black and white clothes. Also, I don't care so much if wearing solid colours is acceptable or not in alternative scene, I wear it anyway. Recently I bought a bright red long coat with a puffy skirt and I 'm in love with it. It makes contrast with my dark wardrobe. And I really want a body suit, to wear it as a blouse with skirts or as underwear. I'd never wear it alone, though. I'm against baring too much skin.. I prefer to look more mysterious and alluring rather than flashy and vulgar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought a red coat too! :) For the same reason, I like to accent the darker items in my wardrobe. I wouldn't mind bodysuits if people wore them that way, that's the proper 1980's way to wear them lol. It's very tasteful if paired with a skirt. My fashion is definitely more "classy" but I suppose that comes with age, I like conservative and fun clothing items.

      Delete
  5. I'm most definitely not an expert on clothing trends but I agree with all of your points here! I can't imagine anyone who has worn a bodysuit back in the eighties (I have!) would EVER want to revisit them. What a nightmare! I hate the vulgar slogans too! I can swear like the proverbial sailor, but I believe there is a time and a place. I can't stand anything calculated to shock for shock's sake. It just irritates me. And the thought of a woman wearing "I'm a whore" on her chest is depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really sad to think that after all these years of trying to empower young women and teach them self respect, we've come to this crap. It's about as bad as a girl resigning herself to being "stupid" because she's a girl, it's awful. In high school, girls used to call themselves bitch like they were proud of it, and it drove me nuts, now I'm seeing that with the C word and whore. What kind of reaction do they expect to get from people? Especially when they're dressed provocatively (in mesh dresses with pasties).

      It reminds me of a documentary I watched about this alt chick who was addicted to self mutilating. She deliberately would go out at night dressed like a hooker and acted overly sexual, then she'd get depressed and offended when guys would aggressively come on to her. It floored me, all I could think was, don't look and act like a prostitute; is that really too difficult?!

      In the future I'd like to do a post up for Baby Bats, hopefully encouraging better tastes and behavior.

      Delete
  6. Yuck, body suits! And, I agree with what Little Gothic Horrors said about the vulgar slogans. I have to admit for me, I wear what I like ;o) I have always been kind of hippie/rock n roll/ gothic! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should wear what you like! That's the right attitude to have. :)

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​