Sunday, 18 January 2015

A Bodyline Review


My Boxing Day Lolita Finds

I'm not much of a Lolita girl and I'm referring to any substyle of Lolita (although I'm taken by Black Forest Mori but I don't connect that to Lolita at all). It's just one of those things that I feel costs too much and takes too much of my time to get into. I also feel I'm a little old for it - I have a particular disliking for sweet Loli and bonnets. I'm the kind of person who just wants to throw on some clothes and get out the door without having to worry about the proper petticoat, or doing my hair and make up so that I look like a living doll. It's just too high maintenance for me. With that being said, you're probably wondering why I like Lolita at all, the truth is is that I like aspects of Lolita. I might like a dress here and there, or a top, but I wouldn't style it like a Lolita girl, instead I'd just wear select pieces matched with other parts of my wardrobe. This is how I ended up with my recent purchase...

After Christmas I was looking through online adverts and came across a girl selling her Lolita outfits. I fell in love with a one piece dress and a top that she was selling. They're from Bodyline. Now Bodyline is a cheaper Lolita brand, but even knowing that I felt she would likely want closer to what she paid for them, especially since the dress was new with tags. To my surprise she only wanted $20 (CAD) for the dress and $10 for the top. That's decent, that's MY kind of Lolita! I was happy with that sum and made the purchase. When I got home from making the purchase I spent a good half hour styling my new clothes in my sewing room.

After doing a little digging, I found out that I had purchased Dress L479 and Cutsew L393. I'm pleased with the items but there are some surprising differences that I didn't expect. Having purchased multiple gothic garments over the years from various brand names, I've come to see differences in quality depending on the piece. Apparently Bodyline is no different, as many Lolitas will tell you their petticoats are garbage and some of the dresses are better quality than others. I'll review each piece separately.




Bodyline Cutsew L393

I'm aware that some Loli clothing is made with jersey knit (which is basically what a cutsew is), however, I never knew it would be so lightweight. The knit of my cutsew top is very thin, like thinner than most sleepwear t-shirts I own. It also has elastic lace trim which I fear will fray like mad over time. It's obvious that this top won't survive a washing machine and probably will go to shit after a few years, but having only paid ten dollars for it it seems like a good deal. Again, this is why a lot of girls prefer Bodyline because of their sales and free shipping offers (although I never saw any free shipping when I visited Bodyline years ago, everything would cost a fortune to ship to Canada). I don't think I would pay more than $20 for this quality. It looks great, it's just disappointing to know that it won't survive long, and even if it does it will probably get stretched out of shape. The big plus here is that it's a top I can wear in the summer without feeling uncomfortable!

I'm looking forward to pairing this with many of my gothic wardrobe items. I've already worn it with a tattered black skirt and my self drafted Lolita inspired Nightmare Before Christmas skirt. It just has a nice traditional goth look to it. The neck ribbon has been cut off, which is no loss to me as I'm not crazy about those things either (they hurt). I also reversed the faux corset ribbon so the bow ties off at the bottom as opposed to the bust, as shown in the photograph. I love this top! I just wish it was more durable.

Overall Bodyling L393 get's ★★★☆☆.





Bodyline One Piece L479

This dress is a little more rewarding in terms of quality. It's heavier than I anticipated. It features a burgundy velvet top and trim and the middle is a thick floral material. It's the right weight to wear around in the spring time or fall, but it's clearly too heavy to endure our hot summers. It's a little stiff, which comes from using a cheaper velvet, but that's to be expected. My biggest disappointment with this OP is that it has a horrible bustline. I'm a smaller woman, I wear a B-cup in bras and this dress is just a little tight around the bustline. If I were any larger I'd be suffocating. I also feel the design is sort of weird, probably to give the impression of a doll (because sex appeal and Lolita DO NOT MIX). It has a decorative construction line that falls directly across the bust. It creates this weird break up between the dark velvet and the light floral fabric, causing the bust to be subdued in appearance. I thought it was more like a baby doll dress when I saw the photos of it on her bed (I hadn't seen the original photos of the product at the time). I thought that the the decorative line cut beneath the bust and not across it. I just find it very difficult to look at in terms of aesthetics. The way the fabric is broken up really makes your eye struggle with the proportions, especially because the floral fabric is kind of busy and that's what dominates the entire outfit.  I pictured it looking more like this (below).




After I found out what the dress actually looks like, I decided against wearing the bows at the waistline and collar (which I think looks kind of stupid anyways) and put the bows one on top of the other, breaking up the complexity of the print. I think it really helped make the dress look better. It looks a little deflated in my photo because it's without the petticoat, and I'll have to work hard to get the wrinkles out of the ruffles at the bottom, but I think it looks gorgeous and it's in immaculate condition.

I can't wait to wear it in the spring with my coffin bag and my knee high black suede boots. I have a black petticoat that I can wear beneath it, it does an alright job of giving the dress volume. One of the things I don't like about the full skirt silhouettes of Lolita, is that it makes legs look like toothpicks. I never noticed it before and I'm sure in time I'll come to adjust to that, but the volume made my calves look like they didn't belong to my body lol!

Overall Bodyline L479 get's ★★★★☆.


Kind regards,


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review! I like but haven't written Lolita for the same reasons.... But I've wanted to try bodyline since I'd heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I was apprehensive to buy from Bodyline, mostly because of the shipping, so I never did. I'm glad I came upon these products secondhand. I think Bodyline clothing is decent quality and priced appropriately. I'm sure some of their products might not be stellar, but it's still way better than those horrible custom Lolita clothes you can buy from China on Ebay lol.

      Delete
  2. I have looked at some Bodyline dressses and they look quite nice in real life :)
    I don´t know about this very models, but normally OP are ok. I look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had the chance to see many Bodyline dresses in person because Lolita isn't very popular in my city, but I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of this dress. :)

      Delete

***ATTENTION*** I will not publish comments that contain offensive subject matter or self promotion (advertisements or links to your website). I have never commented spam on your blog so please do not spam mine.
\( ^ - ^ )/
Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...​​